PDA

View Full Version : PPL continuation training ideas in Surry/Kent

mjc123
31st Jul 2009, 10:10
I am a relatively low hour PPL and am expecting to move to Kent/Surrey area in the next few months. Was wondering if anyone had any advice/views about suitable clubs/airfields from which to keep flying. Obvious candidates are Biggin and Redhill, but was wondering what they are like and if there are other options? I am looking for somewhere where I can rent a club aircraft with reasonable availability and where there are options to do some further training to keep my skills fresh. (Have been contemplating doing the AOPA aeros certificate course for example.) Also any ideas on good next bits of training worth doing to just generally make me a better pilot and keep up interest would be welcome! Many thanks.

kevmusic
31st Jul 2009, 12:28
Hi mjc123, and welcome to the mad fora of PPRuNe! :ok: I'm training at Headcorn which is a lovely grass field (with bumpy runways) in the heart of Kent (Headcorn Aerodrome in Kent - EGKH (http://www.headcornaerodrome.co.uk/)). When I get my licence, I'll be doing continuation for aeros on the Tiger Club's DH82s plus IMC. They do absolutely everything here, and it's set in an area of beautiful countryside and coastline, all waiting to be explored. :)

john ball
31st Jul 2009, 13:38
The ONLY place to fly good aerobatic aircraft - Tiger Club, Headcorn.
Tiger Moth is hard to aerobat well. But also a beautiful CAP 100.
Plus they have Cub's, Jodel's, and Turbulents for the ultimate in simple flying.

Lew747
31st Jul 2009, 14:21
I'm going to be biased and say if you can stretch the extra travel distance then consider Lydd Airport. It's where I trained for my PPL, always have aircraft available and it prides itself on a real club atmosphere. They can train students for PPL, NPPL, Night and IMC and have just aquired an FNTP II sim. Although even I will agree I live only 15 miles away and the drive is a real bore with it being stuck right in the middle of nowhere! :\

mjc123
31st Jul 2009, 15:10
Thank you all for responses so far. Have had a look at Headcorn and looks like a great club. Lydd is probably a bit far for me to travel, though sounds ideal in other respects. I expect will be moving somewhere much closer to Biggin Hill. Anybody know if there is somewhere to learn aeros there? I have to say, though, that the more club atmosphere of somewhere like Headcorn is more what I would prefer (and have been used to with my flying to date)... May well be prepared to trade off a bit longer in the car for that. Will have to see where we end up buying a house in the general area as well and who knows how long that will take in the current climate...

PS note that there are Robins and Jodels at Headcorn - what are they like to fly? My experience to date has been C152s, PA-28s and AA5As (with one glorious hour in my log book in a DH-82A but that was 50% pleasure flight as well as taking the stick)...