PDA

View Full Version : Ground exam expiring/Re-take times?

PilotPieces
30th Jul 2009, 17:56
Hi all,

Quick question about the time scale for ground exams for the PPL.

You have 18 months in which to complete all the exams. So if for example one exam is a day outside this bracket, you then have to retake the first, but does that mean that the original becomes dropped complelty (ie you then technically have 3 attemps at it again)?

Also (this may sound stupid) but if your airlaw exam expires and you need to retake it, does that mean that you can't fly solo until you have passed it again? (Same applies to any other exam that conditions the physical flying).

Thanks

Crash one
30th Jul 2009, 18:54
I was under the impression that once you PASS the first exam you have 18 months to pass the GST & get PPL.
If an exam pass is invalid (18months old) you re-take that one & the 18months then starts from the time you passed the second etc until you pass the GST.
I don't think it is a legal requirement to pass air law or any exam pre-solo but many Flight schools make it their rule. So if that's "Their" rule then yes.
Short answer: check with the school.

PilotPieces
30th Jul 2009, 19:04
I know you have 18 months in which to pass all exams, and then within 6 months to pass GST.

liam548
30th Jul 2009, 19:12
I know you have 18 months in which to pass all exams, and then within 6 months to pass GST.

thought it was a lot longer than 6 months after final exam..?

DX Wombat
30th Jul 2009, 19:24
if your airlaw exam expires and you need to retake it, does that mean that you can't fly solo until you have passed it again? No, it is NOT a legal requirement to have passed your Air Law exam before you fly solo although some FTOs might require you to do so.

Crash one
30th Jul 2009, 19:27
Then the question "is it dropped completely & you have 3 attempts again" Yes, you would otherwise not be able to do your PPL training over more than 18months. If you failed an exam twice, passed third attempt, once it became out of date you would be permanently grounded. Not the case. You have 3 attempts to pass then there has to be a delay before the next 3 attempts. How long that delay is I don't know, but I don't think you are grounded for ever. I think it is because there are only 3 different sets of papers per exam & having been briefed on which Qs you failed on you would have an advantage of knowing at least some of the answers to a recent attempt. Though I may be wrong.
Perhaps an expert will clarify??

nickyjsmith
30th Jul 2009, 19:59
From personal experience of my exams running out, they have to be completed within 18 months of passing the 1st one. Then they are valid as a pass for the issue of a ppl for 2 years from the date of passing the last one.

My mistake was passing them all in 4 months and then due to work and the good old British weather, they ran out before i could get a test in.

The trick is to leave one untill just before your skills test or just before the end of the 18 month limit ( i would suggest HP & L ), then you still have 2 full years to complete.

By the way, i actually understood a lot more the 2nd time around so that was a plus.

Hope this helps, check it in Lasors at the CAA website, ppl section.

Whopity
30th Jul 2009, 21:35
You have 3 attempts to pass then there has to be a delay before the next 3 attempts. How long that delay is I don't know, but I don't think you are grounded for ever.Once you have had your 3 attempts you then have to go to a CAA Examination Centre to take any further papers, you can't take them at your flying school. As the CAA will have to write any additional papers after the 4th attempt, you may have a very long wait.

Crash one
30th Jul 2009, 22:45
Quote:
You have 3 attempts to pass then there has to be a delay before the next 3 attempts. How long that delay is I don't know, but I don't think you are grounded for ever.
Once you have had your 3 attempts you then have to go to a CAA Examination Centre to take any further papers, you can't take them at your flying school. As the CAA will have to write any additional papers after the 4th attempt, you may have a very long wait.

I stand corrected. Thank you.