View Full Version : What VISA do I need???

30th Jul 2009, 11:41
Hi all. Ive been offered an oppertunity that i just cannot turn down. I currently have a JAA PPL and have already converted it to an FAA PPL.

A Private CFI in Georgia has offered me all my FAA Commercial training including my Flight Instructors Training. So i will have my FAA CPL ME IR and CFI ratings. He has also offered me a job to come and work for him as a flight instructor and has said he will do what ever is necessary to help me obtain the correct Visas.

Here is the problem, what Visas do i need?

For my previous training within the US i have had an M1 Visa and had to go through the TSA Alien flight programme on both occasions. What visa will i need in order to work in georgia bearing in mind he is more then happy to sponsor me? also will this working visa cover me for my training first or will i need another M1 Visa to train with first before i apply for the working Visa??

Someone pelase help!!! I have my life dreams infront of me and for the sake of Redtape i'm at a loss!!!

Best Regards

30th Jul 2009, 15:21
Unless you have family based immigration it is impossible unless they are can arrange an exchange visa. There are only 8 in the USA which can, and they are all 141 schools.

Why would they give a non-American a job when there are thousands of unemployed American FAA Instructors all ready out there?

Working without a green card or a work authorisation results in deportation and a 10 year ban from the USA - are you sure you want to risk this - especially if you ever work for an airline - and then you tell them you can't fly to the USA?

Also the US public are extremely quick to report foreginers working at flight schools - following 9/11 they are paranoid. Collegues have been reported to the FBI more than once - as they were concerned that people were not here legally etc etc..

30th Jul 2009, 20:22
And the US embassy in London are extremely helpfully in finding out what you need in terms of paperwork. If you're studying, then you'll need your garden variety M1 visa, just like you did for the PPL.

As for working over there....see post above....not very hopeful I'm afraid. Unless you marry an American, of course!

6th Aug 2009, 01:08
If the gentleman in Georgia is able to issue the M-1 visa (he issues the I-20 to apply for the visa, as you know), then that should be all you'll need in the way of visas to train. See if he's registered with SEVIS for a start. You will also need the various TSA clearances, and getting your fingerprints taken etc. Be wary that he may be just stringing you along to get your training done, then once he's got your $$$, realizes the visa thing won't work (maybe he already knows?! :eek:) you'll be in the sh1t without a way of using your hard earned certificates here in the good ol' US of A.

BigGrecian seems to know the score (as per previous threads that I've seen him comment on) with regards to "employment" visas. From personal experience, there really isn't a workable visa option as a UK citizen with only FAA qualifications (and no experience). I had a willing flight school here in Arizona wanting to hire me... we looked into it, consulted various attorneys, but it was simply a non-starter.

The option we were looking into was in the EB-3 Category, as a "skilled worker"... there would be so many stumbling blocks, it would be virtually impossible. IF we could make this work, we would then be looking at (currently, it was better a few months back, but the priority dates have retrogressed and are currently unavailable, meaning you can't even file) 3-5 years as a rough guess from initially filing, to being able to immigrate here.

It is a very, very, VERY complicated system... at first. Then, once you think you've understood the legal aspects, the lack of information and being left in the dark once you have a current case, will pretty much finish you off! :ugh: The only real option open to me, would be to marry a yank, as I can't wangle any other visas. There are rumors that even writing something like this online, can be checked out by immigration (USCIS) and held against you if they want to get stroppy with your case.

US immigration is a grand pain in the ass. It looks good on paper, protecting current US citizens, but it's still possible to run through a desert at night, jump a fence and start a new life in a southern state. There are something like 30,000 illegal hispanic settlers in and around Phoenix alone. Hopefully, once Obama screws everything up, people may lose interest in coming here, and this long awaited "immigration reform" will allow keen, committed people from the UK and such, an easier way of moving here (if they still want to?!). We have so much trouble here in AZ from illegal hispanics, and recently a case of some Liberian immigrant kids raping each other (the victim was a girl aged 8) that it seems crazy when "decent" people can't come here legally... even if they served in the military (I did - they like that here), are a good up-standing citizen with no criminal record, bought a GM vehicle, paid $40k on flying alone etc, and put money into the local economy for the last year, while all the time not doing anything untoward, or in violation of his visa. But that's the way it is, so suck it up. ;)

I personally, will keep trying to figure out a way to move here (my father has recently become a legal resident through marriage, long story short - maybe 6+ years 'til I can immigrate via his sponsorship) and in the mean time will try to visit from time to time as a tourist to fly in these beautiful AZ skies, where GA is still very much alive, and keep my FAA certificates current. Sad news for me, is I-94 running out Aug 19th, and flight back to Manch' next Monday. :*

Hopefully there is some demand for an FAA CFI/II in the UK?? Or someone has a nice N-reg I can get my hands on..? OK, I'll keep dreaming!

Spr K, retd

6th Aug 2009, 03:43
There is also the diversity visa lottery program Diversity Visa Program (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html)

But as it says it is a lottery - next years applications have already been taken - IIRC 2011 applications will open in October.

6th Aug 2009, 09:21
IIRC then the Diversity Program excludes UK Citizens.

6th Aug 2009, 13:02
Doesn't actually exclude UK citizens.

It actually depends on your country of birth. UK born means you can't apply. Other countries have different limitations.

8th Aug 2009, 23:34
In theory you could wait until your daddy has citizenship (3 years if married to US national) and then file the application. The thing is, not having it checked for ages, but as a child of US sponsor, you'd still be the slower stream of family migration. Not the slowest though. So filing now and later may work out pretty much similar timewise.

Duchess_Driver and BigG,
Wow. Something I know more about (not aviation related, ahem). FYI, almost right. As of past years, being born in Northern Ireland DOES NOT prevent you from applying through DV visa. Aka Green Card lottery. Chances slim, but there's a quota for each 'country' - where NI is considered separate from the rest of UK, and if there aren't many applicants, chances go up. Then, there's the issue of 'case number' - if high, forget about making it all in time, sending and shuffling paper. Stupid, but so it is..

BigG mentioned correctly. It's 'derivative' status, ie country of birth. Then, one could also claim this as per spouse's country of birth. Handy, innit? Marry someone from country that gets high number of DV places and little applicants and there you go.

8th Aug 2009, 23:56
I believe if you are born in NI most people are entitled to dual citzenship.

9th Aug 2009, 05:12
Msr Solar, eee, how does that help with 'chargeability' ie place of birth for the entry to lottery? Btw, if someone's born in NI or has wife, DV 2009 had 35 places given to NI chargeable (=eligible by place of birth) and 132 places for ROI aka Ireland.

I'm aware of what you say, but that only helps with visas, for example. At the mo, they are starting 12 month work visa for Irish nationals who are Uni students or graduates within last 12 months (think it'd be one of the non-aviation J1 visas, one has to go through Irish USIT). Not bad if someone's got FAA CPL/CFI and wants bit of legal time to work there. I've lived here for some time, but the two passports I have aren't from here, although getting UK one next year. That still changes bugger-all about country of eligibility. Mind you, there is no such 'Working Holiday' proviso between US and UK AFAIK. It may change, but I'm not sure.

I do however see certain movement towards it. Look at WHV between USA and NZ. US having special work visa (think it's actually dual intent, ie also for immigration, not just 'temp visitor for work') category and limit for Australian citizens. Just like countries of Western/Northern Europe with Australia, Canada and NZ, most of them between each other on bilateral agreement basis.

If someone marries national of Belarus, Ukraine, Turkey, Albania, Iran, Bangladesh, Nepal, Kenya, Ethiopia, Egypt, Sudan, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Senegal, Congo, Nigeria, Morocco, Cameroon, Algeria, Germany, he/she's more likely to succeed than from European country with many filing the DV entry properly and in direct competition for 'places'. These countries mentioned above have 1000-6000 places, all above thousand. I guess some of them may not have as many entrants as others. That's quite and off-chance, btw. Easier to marry US national and after 3 years and loads of paperwork, shiny navy blue passport in hand.

13th Aug 2009, 20:55
BigG, care to share which 8 schools are involved with the exchange visas?

4th Dec 2009, 04:37
I have a U.S. visa related question.

For those SEVP approved flying schools issuing I-20 form to foreign students, does the school needs to pay any fee to the SEVP for the processing of I-20 form prior to releasing it to foreign students?

If yes, how much is the school paying?

There are reasons why I asked. Can somebody kindly share with me?

4th Dec 2009, 08:57
An H1 visa, good luck with it, you will need a good immigration lawyer to handle it for you but it's possible if applied for correcty. Maybe you can enter on an M1 then change status while there, it's easier to sort out stateside than in blighty as the US embassy in London (if thats where you are) has a really bad reputation (special relationship my Arse).

4th Dec 2009, 17:19
Yes in a round about way.

As with any democracy there are fees payable to the government.

It's not a per person fee - but a general rather large fee to be approved to issue the documents.

Most schools charge a fee which covers the shipping and helps to cover their admin costs associated with issuing the paperwork i.e paying the person who makes the form up. They are perfectly entitled to to do this, and the majority of schools have some sort of charge. Quite often it can be in the hundreds of dollars, rather than making your flight training a couple of extra dollars an hour.

8th Dec 2009, 21:35
Some schools are charging upwards of $1200 for the paperwork!

10th Dec 2009, 04:08
Yes in a round about way.
As with any democracy there are fees payable to the government.
It's not a per person fee - but a general rather large fee to be approved to issue the documents.
Most schools charge a fee which covers the shipping and helps to cover their admin costs associated with issuing the paperwork i.e paying the person who makes the form up. They are perfectly entitled to to do this, and the majority of schools have some sort of charge. Quite often it can be in the hundreds of dollars, rather than making your flight training a couple of extra dollars an hour.

Some schools are charging upwards of $1200 for the paperwork!

That is strange! Some schools do not charge any fees at all and just issue I-20M form right away!

I wonder is the usual practice for schools to do it this way?

19th Dec 2009, 08:43
In 2006 I paid $250 for an I-20 form, needed to get the M1 visa. That was to a school near Phoenix. I don't think this figure is unusual. $1200 would be a blatent ripoff because it takes only about 30 mins of somebody's time.