PDA

View Full Version : Revision - Maths etc for ATCO

RyanEdin
29th Jul 2009, 11:16
Hi guys,

Im currently about to start doing my Int'2 and Higher courses after the summer.
I am looking to become an ATCO.

I was wondering what you think is the best things to revise and what I should be doing now to have a strong CV and application for the future.
I am doing Maths and Physics which I know are major things to have.

Thanks for the help!

R

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Jul 2009, 12:24
I couldn't sit O level maths as I failed the mock exam with 3%!! I could never get my head round algebra and other stuff but when it came to doing navigation for my ATC licence exams I got through with no trouble..

Good luck!

RyanEdin
29th Jul 2009, 12:29
Thanks! that makes me feel more confident about it!!!
Im the same, never really got round some of maths!!

Tower Ranger
29th Jul 2009, 13:10
You may think that you are bad at Maths but I`ve just been out shopping and the assistant couldn`t work out what 10% discount was on 600dhs. Even using a calculator he tried to tell me it was 12!! He looked at me in bewilderment as I tried to explain how to work it out. Mind you he was English so I suppose that`s a reasonable excuse!

RyanEdin
29th Jul 2009, 13:19
hahaha
Im deffinatly not that bad,
I just struggle with mental maths - I seem to be better at the more problem solving side.

let you know exam results week today!!!!!:eek:

Scooby Don't
29th Jul 2009, 14:36
Tower Ranger - you should know by now that part of the fun in this part of the world is watching shop assistants pull out the calculator! Then you tell them the answer before they finish punching keys....

RyanEdin - SCE Higher Maths is plenty enough for ATC, as is Standard Grade (or whatever they call it now) really. There is plentiful opportunity to turn the job into a maths problem, but in reality very few ATCOs will see it as such (maybe oceanic and area procedural controllers?). The aspect of maths used most is mental arithmetic. Such as....

You have a 7 mile gap between aircraft on final, and a departure waiting at the holding point who needs a 40-second engine run up before commencing his take-off roll. Is the gap big enough?

or

You're working approach radar and have an aircraft heading straight in towards 10 mile final, currently 20 miles from that point and with a groundspeed of 300kts, and an aircraft on the downwind abeam the airport, groundspeed 210kts, and slightly high which makes it hard work on the pilots if you try to force them down to join final at 6 miles....

In reality, experience and the ability to "eyeball" the situation is more important than doing the sums, but an ability to do those sums is undoubtedly helpful!

RyanEdin
29th Jul 2009, 14:45
Hi Scooby Don't
thanks for the info!

Whats the best way to do those questions then !
is that the sort of stuff they ask in the entry for NATS ??

thanks
Ryan

Tower Ranger
30th Jul 2009, 00:09
Scooby,

a 7 mile gap on final, maybe i should change watches!!

Scooby Don't
30th Jul 2009, 05:08
TR, it was an example, and only an example.... When it's 200m in a sand storm, you can have your 7nm, maybe even 7.5 if you ask real nice. :ok:

Avoiding_Action
30th Jul 2009, 09:42
I couldn't sit O level maths as I failed the mock exam with 3%!! I could never get my head round algebra and other stuff but when it came to doing navigation for my ATC licence exams I got through with no trouble.
3% that is impressive.

PDF
31st Jul 2009, 11:08
In all honesty, if you can do simple time\distance\speed questions you'll be fine at getting in ! Very little maths required to get into NATs, not sure about the other ANSPs but NATs is a simple form then several assesment days/interviews - read the sticky thread at the top of this page for the sort of things you get tested on.

RyanEdin
31st Jul 2009, 11:11
In all honesty, if you can do simple time\distance\speed questions you'll be fine at getting in ! Very little maths required to get into NATs, not sure about the other ANSPs but NATs is a simple form then several assesment days/interviews - read the sticky thread at the top of this page for the sort of things you get tested on.

Thanks - well having just done 2 years of SG Physics D/V/T is a basic for me!
thanks for the info!

ex-EGLL
31st Jul 2009, 15:25
I couldn't sit O level maths as I failed the mock exam with 3%!! I could never get my head round algebra and other stuff but when it came to doing navigation for my ATC licence exams I got through with no trouble..

Good luck!

Did you even spell your name correctly, that's usually a guaranteed 5% :uhoh: