PDA

View Full Version : Flyout destination in the UK?

Captain Stable
29th Jul 2009, 10:55
I'm slowly building up club participation at a small airfield in the SE of England. We've had a very successful flyout to LFAT and I'm planning a couple of flying competitions.

However, we have a significant number of low-time and low-confidence studes who would like a flyout to a UK destination.

Any suggestions for an interesting place to go? Something interesting to see in the local area (or on the airfield) would help.

hatzflyer
29th Jul 2009, 11:00
You could fly to Tibenham in Norfolk and take a flight in a glider just for the experience.:ok:

FatFlyer
29th Jul 2009, 11:35
How about Duxford if there is not an airshow on, (not forgetting of course the new transponder mandatory zone around stansted) lots to see there.

dublinpilot
29th Jul 2009, 11:49
Old Sarum, if you can get a hire car and go see Stonehenge? (Not easy to organise a hire car there at the weekends.)

Rod1
29th Jul 2009, 11:55
There is a Flyer forum flyout specifically designed for low hour pilots. I will not post a link :} but I am sure you will find it, if not send me a PM.

Rod1

Pace
29th Jul 2009, 12:19
CaptainStable

A lovely trip at this time of year from the South East would be down to Cornwall and Perranporth. This sits on top of the cliffs with one of the best beaches in the UK below.

Spectacular especially if you route down the north coast of cornwall.

Pace

airborne_artist
29th Jul 2009, 12:37
A lovely trip at this time of year from the South East would be down to Cornwall and Perranporth.

You might wait a while a) to get good enough weather to get down there and b) to get weather good enough to get back...:ok:

ShyTorque
29th Jul 2009, 13:14
FatFlyer, I'd be grateful if you could explain where I can find info about the "mandatory transponder zone" around Stansted.

I can't find it in NOTAMS or the AIP. :confused:

Thanks.

Edit: Now found it; it's not yet in force till 24 Sep 2009 and the details are not in the AIP until 10 Sep.

CAA approves establishment of Stansted Transponder Mandatory Zones (TMZs) airspace change proposal | CAA News | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&newstype=n&mode=detail&nid=1780)

Pace
29th Jul 2009, 13:19
You might wait a while a) to get good enough weather to get down there and b) to get weather good enough to get back...

I used to fly a Cessna Crusader into a disused airfield in Cornwall every week for 9 months on a commercial basis.

Yes you are correct that Cornwall is prone to fog and low cloud. We often had to take an alternative into exeter.

If the weather is stable and good you cannot beat that run :)

Pace

Leezyjet
29th Jul 2009, 14:37
How about Bembridge or Sandown on the IOW ?.

Nice simple flight along the coast from SE England, and has a feel for a low timer of going "overseas". Some nice restaurants only a short taxi ride away too.

:)

airborne_artist
29th Jul 2009, 15:56
Or if you don't fancy the idea of crossing the water, Lee on Solent is now open for visitors.

AC-DC
30th Jul 2009, 19:45
Try Great Massingham (PPR airfield). Walk into the village (10 min.) and next to the pond there is a very nice pub (something Duck), nice food and an easy flight.

alphaalpha
5th Aug 2009, 11:37
Captain Stable:

Duxford is an interesting venue for a visit and can do discounts for a fly-in. However, unless signed up to the training scheme, students need to be accompanied. I'm working there tomorrow, 5th Aug, give me a call in the tower if you want to discuss 01223 833376 -- otherwise call the airfield manager, Frank Marson.

Alan.