PDA

View Full Version : Converting and working in Canada

avijacijamk
29th Jul 2009, 10:03
Hi guys,

I live in Macedonia and I have a chance to immigrate to Canada next year. Curently I am ICAO CPL(A) with IR and ME rating. I have around 350 hour TT and my question is what I will need to do to convert my ICAO CPL(A) and the ratings to the Canadian... also I can't find any info what can I work with my licences and ratings and also how much I can earn per hour if I fly for example skydivers airplanes or something like that. Thanks in advance...

varigflier
29th Jul 2009, 20:58
For the conversion process, check out Tranport Canada's website at
Flight Crew Licensing - Foreign Applicants (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/general/personnel/fore.htm)

VF

AeroDiaz
30th Jul 2009, 01:01
1) Jumper dumper salary in Canada?

An average of CAD$5.00 dollars a jumper. IF (and that is a BIG IF) they are one of the few companies who pay for this kind of job. Most of them don´t. No matter what kind of experience you have.

2) License conversion

It will be very expensive. So bring a lot of "greens" with you. Get the books to start studying. Most schools ship them worldwide. I personally recommend you www.harvsair.com (http://www.harvsair.com) . Great staff, good rates and nice aircrafts.

Hope that helps.
Greetings,

DÍAZ

avijacijamk
3rd Aug 2009, 17:47
Thank you very much guys... I was hoping that I could easy convert my licence but I guess I was wrong :(((

varigflier
4th Aug 2009, 02:22
Transport Canada only makes it easy if you have a FAA license. There is a bilateral agreement with the FAA for license conversion.

lk978
4th Aug 2009, 03:53
www.allatp.com (http://www.allatp.com)

do a 3 day ATP course

then go to canada and convert it

cost of course $1995 USD

:ok:

varigflier
4th Aug 2009, 18:54
I think he can only get a FAA private pilot license based on his foreign license. He would need a checkride for the commercial and then an ATP as well plus the written tests for IFR, commercial and ATP.

lk978
5th Aug 2009, 06:34
sorry just read the original post, need 1500TT hours for the ATP (includes IR)... but i am sure it is easy enough to convert to CPL the same way the courses ALL ATP offer include the check ride and theory tests :ok:

sarcee
12th Aug 2009, 16:18
Transport counts overseas time towards the licenses and you can actually get grants from HRSDC to convert your license as I did, they did a ATPL and instructor course for me.

sarcee
12th Aug 2009, 16:21
As mentioned he does not need to get an FAA license first, Transport will count all time logged towards a Canadian license normally. Will need only to write INRAT and Commercial tests and take the rides again, that's what I had to do.

craka
15th Aug 2009, 06:08
So even if you have an ATPL from an ICAO state - do you still require to sit the test as well as the written? So you may as well have started your flying life in Canada seems prohibitively expensive? no?

ninja_turtle
15th Aug 2009, 11:55
1. Do Airlines in Canada hire Permanent Residents ?

2. I have a Canadian CPL , is it better for me to sit for the ATPL written and get the licence upgraded to ATPL or convert my overseas ICAO ATPL to Canadian ATPL ?

3. If I am current , but flying in a different country , will I have to give any Check rides to get my ATPL issued , or are the hours and writtens enough to do so ?

4. The CPL had a blanket rating but from what I can think will my ATPL allow me to fly only certain aircrafts for which I may have to clear specific and or technical papers and then have to do a checkride on that particular type and then be able to legally fly only that particular type . How does it go ?

5. What would be the approx salary for a F/O in Canada ?

Thank you all , I have approx 2000 on Narrow Body Jets ..

sarcee
28th Aug 2009, 19:07
yes they hire PR's

What Limits
28th Aug 2009, 21:39
For anyone contemplating work in Canada, you must already have the right to live and work here. :confused:

One of the following

Canadian Citizen
Permanent Resident
Temporary Work Permit

The likelihood of obtaining a TWP for an air pilot in the current economic climate is slim to impossible. :(

PR may take up to 5 years to be granted. :ugh:

This is the situation now which may or may not change soon or in the future. :mad:

er340790
3rd Sep 2009, 12:56
Quote: PR may take up to 5 years to be granted.

Wow - is it really that bad nowadays??? Mine took 10 months (*) back in 04/05.

* Per the agent in Vegreville, that was 9 months, 3 weeks and 3 days in storage in their 'inventory' as they laughingly term it and 2 days for the actual processing. (The centre was moved to Vegreville to avoid the national embarrassment of thousands of applicants queuing hopelessly on the streets of Toronto for days on end.)

CaptW5
4th Sep 2009, 23:37
Re:The centre was moved to Vegreville to avoid the national embarrassment of thousands of applicants queuing hopelessly on the streets of Toronto for days on end.)

Of course it did not have anything to do with the fact that it was the Deputy PM's (Don M.) home riding at the time??:hmm:

Lun-Yeung
26th Sep 2009, 17:02
Hi guys and gals,

I have a few questions regarding the Canadian License.

How long does it take for TC to assess your foreign license?

Is the medical issued to you right away or does it go through TC before it is issued?

If TC recognizes my current B737NG rating, will I still have to do a flight test to get my ATPL issued?

Thank you.

varigflier
13th Oct 2009, 03:55
I can answer two of your questions.
It took TC 6 weeks to verify my foreign license and the Canadian medical is mailed to you but I can't remember how long it took.

VF

Left Coaster
13th Oct 2009, 04:48
Can anyone tell me what the heck HRSDC is and what grants you received from them? many thanks...

YYZBeacher
13th Oct 2009, 13:05
With the current state of hiring in these parts, here is my advice (and my first post here too):

1. Work permit for pilots - forget it. Just not going to happen. Any outfit wanting to hire you, will need to prove beyond any doubt there are no Canadian citizens/permanent residents available to do the work.

2. Building time over in these parts is a tough road to hoe if you're older, and need to delve into the savings to cover the difference between your needs and the pennies you'll make - even somewhere like FlightExec does not pay well, and you need good experience to even get near a Cheyenne. The getting into Canada on a work permit would stop you anyway, unless you have another route into the country to get your IMM 1000 (PR Status).

3. Takes 5-6 years after professional license award to build the hours from the ground-up to get a decent ride, generally.

I don't mean to put anyone off, but it is one of toughest countries to get into the business and stay there...

Beacher