PDA

View Full Version : NPPL and Aerobatic competition

Jay_solo
28th Jul 2009, 08:47
Can you take part in amateur aerobatic competitions with NPPL?

eharding
28th Jul 2009, 09:07
Can you take part in amateur aerobatic competitions with NPPL?

Yes, you can.

BackPacker
28th Jul 2009, 09:21
In fact, there are even provisions that you can compete (though not win) with a safety pilot on board. Useful if you have a medical restriction that prevents you from flying solo.

Zulu Alpha
28th Jul 2009, 17:55
Several pilots compete on NPPLs.

Why ever not?

ZA

Cusco
28th Jul 2009, 18:53
ZA wrote

Several pilots compete on NPPLs.

Why ever not?

One possible reason might be that as some PPLs who lose their Class 2 medicals revert to the 'lesser' NPPL medical signed off by their GP, the stresses both physical and mental of aerobatic competition might just be too much for the Class 2 failed medical heart condition for example.

I'm still not sure that all GPs are aware of the difference between Aerobatic flying and trundling a HGV around the M25.

And there are likely to be a concentration of spectators not far from the aerobatic box.

Just a theory

Cusco

eharding
28th Jul 2009, 21:57
I'm still not sure that all GPs are aware of the difference between Aerobatic flying and trundling a HGV around the M25.

Indeed, I find punting an aeroplane around the competition box far less stressful than negotiating the M25, even if the Rangie doesn't quite qualify as an HGV.

You should try it.

Blues&twos
28th Jul 2009, 22:33
I have tried both. Driving a wagon doesn't give quite the same adrenaline rush...most of the time. And my lorry wasn't fitted with a vomitometer.

Jay_solo
30th Jul 2009, 12:59
I had asked because of this:

"Aerobatics in powered aircraft

Before entering an aerobatic competition in a powered aircraft , you must first hold a full pilots licence. Types of licence privileges can vary from country to country, but in the UK this is, at minimum, a private pilot licence (Group A aircraft). "

Taken from the British Aerobatics Association website: Training (http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/training/training.htm)

I noticed they say "full pilots license" and at a minimum a private pilots license. No mention of NPPL, so it got me thinking.

Personally, to grant privileges to dance in the sky to a full PPL holder and not an NPPL holder makes no sense. In aerobatics you're not flying cross country or into IMC. Your flying a light aircraft in a controlled space of air for the competition or recreation. You just need to know how to control your aircraft, something which is taught at both license levels!

BackPacker
30th Jul 2009, 13:05
but in the UK this is, at minimum, a private pilot licence

Good point. I would actually contact the BAeA about this - Jen Buckenham would be your first point of call. You can find her details on the BAeA website.