PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here done their PPL at Panshanger (North London Flying School)

Saracen87
26th Jul 2009, 12:53
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing their PPL at Panshanger, near Welwyn in herts. Had a lesson there once a while ago which was fun but would like to know more. Probably a long shot but worth a try.

Lunchmaster
26th Jul 2009, 15:56
I did the PPL at Panshanger, Got my licence almost two years ago. Generally found it a good experience apart from the usual rapid changing of instructors as various people either went off to the airlines or moved on.

Best bit of advice I have is ask for Eddie as your instructor. He's an older man, been flying for years and I spent time with him preparing for the test. Wished I'd done the whole course with Eddie as I found he was able to fill in some gaps in my training I wasn't aware of, polished up my navigation technique (esp diversions) and got me in the right frame of mind for the test. He's also stricter about sloppy flying and won't let you get away with anything. That may sound intimidating but believe me it will save you hours (and therefore money) later in the course.

Availability of aircraft was never an issue at EGLG provided you book up lesson slots at least a week in advance. I only had an aircraft go tech once during the entire 18 months I spent training. The English weather was the main cause of delay and frustration but you're going to find that everywhere in the UK.

If you want any more send me a PM.

Lunchmaster

A and C
26th Jul 2009, 16:14
I would do a search on these pages before you part with any money, the "press" that the place gets is mixed.

I have no axe to grind but just think that a little research would help you to decide if this place is right for you.

apruneuk
26th Jul 2009, 17:30
The owner's a bit of a "character" - Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now springs to mind!

26th Jul 2009, 18:00
I looked at these before starting PPL last year but found a pretty luke warm reception. I ended up going to Cranfield (it is a little further away from my home nr St Albans than Panshangar) and using Billins who I found excellent and would thouroughly recommend.

Good luck with your PPL

stuartjbrooks
26th Jul 2009, 18:00
I have been learning at Panshangar for almost a year now and although I have no experience of any other flying school, it seems like a really nice place to learn to fly. When I first started I must admit it did seem a bit disorganised but then its hard to run something like a flying school like clockwork isn't it. There are some many factors outside the control of the school.

I changed instructors a couple of times near the beginning with people leaving for airlines or moving away, but i have had the same guy for the last 20 of my 28 hours and am really happy there. All the instructors seem very good and easy to talk to, although I believe that people are suited to some instructors more than others.

With regards to the owner, he takes a bit of getting used to but as long as you know which way to take him he is harmless :)

Feel free to pm me if you need any further info

Regards,

Stuart

Saracen87
26th Jul 2009, 21:40
Thanks guys. Very Interesting. It would most likely be panshanger or stapleford but panshanger is far closer for me. Following on from what Apruneuk said, I didnt meet the owner but it did seem like quite an eccentric place as it is. I didnt have Eddie as an instructor but had Pedro (i think) and he was very good. BTW I dont spose anyone has done the Guild of Air Pilots and Navigators aptitude test at RAF cranwell before doing their PPL. Just curious about its content and wot not. From what im told there isnt all that much you do to prepare for it but there must be something that can be swotted up upon.

cheers

Mike Juliet
26th Jul 2009, 22:03
Granted, the owner can be a little 'colourful', but I always found that if you treat him with respect, he will do likewise. He just doesn't tollerate those pilots who think they own the sky and can do whatever they like...you know the sort!:ok:

Saracen87
26th Jul 2009, 22:22
Sounds fair enough tbh. Sure I am not and will not be one of 'those types' anyway. He does sound like a character.

tmmorris
27th Jul 2009, 07:55
The cafe's nice...

Tim

skydiver548
27th Jul 2009, 16:47
I actually did my PPL in the USA (in 17 days) then joined Panshanger hiring their aircraft. Following a quick excursion into Luton's airspace (followed by a phone interview :O) I did some "additional" navigation training at Panshanger which taught me what I was supposed to do rather than what I could get away with in the USA.

I went on to do complex differences training there and IMC which were great fun and very good.

It's a great place to learn and understand the airspace in the South East, with Luton Zone to the left and Stansted to the Right and London above.

I'd recommend it, give it a go, if you don't get on you can always try elsewhere.

Saracen87
27th Jul 2009, 22:56
Skydiver548,

Thanks for that. Very Interesting. On my lesson (intro to PPL type lesson) we flew through the Stansted, Luton corridor which was pretty good especially being able to see incoming traffic on final even tho ur some distance away. I imagine having to land on such a small strip makes you a better pilot as well.