PDA

View Full Version : Working in New Zealand

GPATC
26th Jul 2009, 02:16
Hello, every one. I have searched the forums and read all that I could about New Zealand ATC jobs, but I wanted to get some additional, and more current info.

I am a Controller in the US, working for the FAA at a combined tower and approach control. We are a mid-level facility with a solid mix of GA, air carrier, and cargo operations.

I have been researching a possible move to New Zealand, having fallen in love with the country while on my honeymoon. My wife would love to live abroad and thinks NZ would be a great place to raise our 2 young children.

Now, I have read earlier comments about Airways New Zealand's tendency to try and recruit experienced controllers, rather than work to retain their own native ATCOs with higher pay. Can anyone tell me what exactly the pay is now? I know there were some contract negotiations in the Spring, however I can't find any actual pay scales online.

Also: 1- Are there any American controllers working down in NZ now? If so, how are they, or other foreign controllers received?

2- I understand that most of the experienced foreign radar controllers work in Christchurch, but what is the Christchurch radar center like? Where in the city is it located?

3. I have read that the shifts tend to be 4 on 2 off, but what about leave. Is it difficult to get time off, like it is here in the US facilities? I don't want to move my family all the way to NZ, if we can't get out and enjoy the country.

4. How are the schools and health care?

We are not the typical American family with the giant house and car, etc. We live fairly simply and would love something better for our children than the direction our society here is moving toward. I want to make an informed decision and not rush off with false ideas about the lifestyle and work.

I appreciate any help you guys can give, and I know I had a lot of questions. Not everything is clearly answered on the NZ immigration site so I would love some real info from actual controllers.

Thanks,
GP

zkjaws
27th Jul 2009, 12:24
GPATC

I thought you may have got a response by now - maybe by PM?

I left NZ about 2 years ago so, my info may be a bit out of date.

Pay - when I left a top of the grade approach controllers would be earning about NZ$120-130K before tax. Pay rises over the last few years (I believe) have been about 3-4% - not quite enough to keep up with real inflation. After qualifying you will start on about step 8 of a 19 step pay scale, and with lower qualification and/or shift loadings. My best guess is you might get as high as NZ$70K before tax.

1 - There is at least one American in the NZ system (at the training centre) and many other nationalities. How well foreign controllers are recieved is more dependant on the person rather than where they come from.

2 - The Christchurch Centre is a modern centre and well laid out compared to some I have worked in. It is located about 2 km from the airport on the North West side of the city.

3 - The general shift pattern is 4 on 2 off, but there are some variations to that (6:3 or 5:2:5:3). You will get about 35-40 days leave in a year (that includes days in lieu for the public holidays). Each sector has it's own leave booking systems and unless there is a real staffing shortage, there is not usually a problem getting leave when you want it.

4 - Generally the schools and health care are ok. You will probably need to get private health insurance as there are waiting lists in the public system. Schools vary from suburb to suburb and some of the public schools are as good if not better than the private ones - but the price of houses in their catchment areas will be higher. You may wish to consider private schooling - it will cost you about NZ$15K per year for secondary school fees. (check out the school websites for more accurate information)

You will be able to join the company superannuation scheme and this will be included in your package. The company will put in $2 (minus tax) for every $1 you contribute up to a certain percentage of your salaray. Be wary of this scheme it has a history of poor performance - some years it has made loss of as much as 17%.

Hope this helps

Jaws

GPATC
27th Jul 2009, 17:45
Many thanks for the reply! I have received a few messages via PM and everyone has been very helpful.

My wife likes a more urban environment as opposed to far-flung suburbs, can anyone suggest something that has the feel of both near Christchurch?

Thanks!

GP

John Hill
28th Jul 2009, 04:05
An urban suburb in Christchurch you might like would be Fendalton.

Take a look at the NZ auction site at Trademe.co.nz and search for Fendalton. That might give a feel for what might be available to buy or rent.

Fendalton is between the city and the airport, the centre is even closer.

Kiwikid
28th Jul 2009, 04:16
Christchurch is not a huge city (pop around 350-400,000 depending on how many of the surrounding towns you include). It only takes 15 minutes to get from the city center to the outskirts so there aren't any really far flung suburbs. A fair few controllers in Christchurch (20% maybe) live out of the city in some of the more semi-rural areas or smaller towns but that doesn't sound like you. It's hard to really comment without knowing a bit more about what sort of lifestyle you want and school requirements you may have (and budget) but trademe.co.nz and realestate.co.nz would be a good place to start looking at houses etc. Also maybe look at google maps - the radar center is in Sir William Pickering Drive for what it's worth.

GPATC
29th Jul 2009, 00:24
Thanks everyone for the information. Very helpful, indeed.

GP