PDA

View Full Version : Prestwick centre

Saraj
25th Jul 2009, 21:07
Hi guys,

just need help with this, booked my stage 1 in prestwick at the Scottish and Oceanic Air Control Centre, is this the same place as Prestwick Internatioanl Airport?

Im travelling from Nelson, Lancashire which is like 200 miles each way, so going by train (alot cheaper) which would take me directly to Prestwick Inter Airport, but would I need transport to the centre?

any help much appreciated

Ceannairceach
25th Jul 2009, 21:23
Hullo there,

ScOACC and indeed the New Prestwick Centre are closer to Prestwick Town railway station than the one at the airport, as the centre is not on the airport complex itself.

There are always, or almost always taxis at the railway station if you don't feel like the walk. If there are none there give Streamline a call on 01292 261000

To see where the place is on google Maps check out :

KA9 2NR - Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=KA9+2NR&ie=UTF-8)

Saraj
25th Jul 2009, 21:36
much appreciated for yourhelp, so instead of going to the international airport rail station, to go to centre instead and maybe walk or taxi?

to be honest never ever taken a train before or taxi lol, always driven

so a bit nervious in doing it, if i drove would cost me about 80 quid, if i go by train 16 quid return ! how much you reckon taxi would cost from rail station in town to the centre?

thanks in advance

Ceannairceach
25th Jul 2009, 22:15
Yup, Prestwick Town is the closest railway station to the centre by about half a mile. Trains run from there to Glasgow Central every 30 minutes.

From Glasgow Central the train you require is the Ayr train, they usually leave from the platforms at the far side of the station. Again, they're every 30 minutes.

It's exactly a mile to the centre from Town railway station so either a walk or the taxi is good. Bear the weather in mind though of course - so a taxi maybe your best bet.

A taxi will cost about £2.50 or £3.00.

DTY/LKS
25th Jul 2009, 22:51
Do applicants not get their expenses paid for attending the selection day anymore? When I was a lad doing it I claimed for my train ticket for my interview up in Glasgow, then my petrol to Glasgow and air fare to Heathrow for my medical.

Oceanman
27th Jul 2009, 09:56
Saraj
If you are serious about a career in NATS as an ATCO, I suggest you arrange a visit to the two control centres (Scottish Airways and Shanwick) whilst you are at Prestwick. It always looks good if you can say during your interview(s) that you visited a NATS unit, seen the operation and have spoken to ATC personnel.
Retired and loving it.

fisbangwollop
27th Jul 2009, 11:55
If you get off at either Prestwick airport or Prestwick Town (they are only about 800 yards apart!!)you can walk to the centre in 15 minutes :ok:

Best of luck if you need any more help send me a PM....I work at the centre and happy to help out a fellow Lancastrian!! :ok:

Saraj
27th Jul 2009, 12:18
Hi thanks for the replies and thanks for the offer fisbangwallop

@ Oceanman, for some reason im under the impression there dont do a interview at Stage 1, but will double check on the ATC Inverview thread !

DavieR
30th Dec 2009, 21:12
If you need accommodation try, only 15 minoutes walk to PC/Scoacc. 30 minutes walk from airport.

www.bedandbreakfastprestwickayr.co.uk (http://www.bedandbreakfastprestwickayr.co.uk)