PDA

View Full Version : Four-Engine Prop?

DashDotDash
24th Jul 2009, 18:41
Got a call from the mother a couple of days back saying she'd seen some type of Four-Engine Prop. a/c flying low (she reckons 500') over Newbury.

Any ideas as to what it was, and why it was there? Apparently Viscount sized.

Thanks for your help :)

DB6
24th Jul 2009, 19:27
Hercules ain't rare, and often beetle around at 500' or so. And as to why - it was at work for the RAF.

topshed
24th Jul 2009, 19:56
I was beaten up by a Herc last Saturday. I was northbound on the M5 and it was southbound around 500 feet I guess. Somewhere south of BRS. Very intersting but distracting to the motorists dealing with heavy traffic (around 1200 local).

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Jul 2009, 19:58
It is exceptionally difficult to estimate accurately the height of an aircraft and I very much doubt if anything would be that low over Newbury. I believe it was the air show at Fairford recently so she may have seen something heading that way?

AircraftOperations
24th Jul 2009, 21:57
Have any of the DC-6s (Red Bull/Atlantique etc), Constellations or Electras been involved with any UK Air Shows down that way? One of those would be my guess.

DashDotDash
24th Jul 2009, 23:16
I have it on fairly good, albeit p'raps not all that believable, that it wasn't a Herc. She did try and convince me that said a/c was only at "about 100 foot" ...which I translated into 500 :rolleyes: - seems somewhat more likely!

Completely forgot RIAT was on though; certainly makes sense!

Telstar
30th Jul 2009, 10:27
Atlantics Electras have been put back in the air recently. The crews have been base training at various airports and I presume the aircraft have/had been air tested before this.