PDA

View Full Version : Fenland to Isle of Wight/Sandown

PAPI 32
24th Jul 2009, 17:07
Hi everyone. I'm planning a flight from Fenland to Sandown, Isle of Wight, tomorrow. My planned route takes me quite close to the London CTR/TMA. I understand the best people to talk to is Farnborough LARS? My route goes EGCL, YAXLEY, WELLINGBOROUGH, MILTON KEYNES, BASINGSTOKE, PETERSFIELD, EGHN.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jul 2009, 17:19
Should work whilst around London, make sure you use the latest frequency arrangements - the diagram in Pooleys will give you all you need. If they don't want to talk to you, they'll either hand you over, or recommend that you freecall somebody else.

The southerly bit, be careful of your navigation betweek Basingstoke and the coast - there aren't many particularly good features and you're likely to be a little close to Southampton CTA. Also, expect Farnborough to hand you over to Southampton who often will offer a zone crossing, so be ready for the question and have an answer ready. (It's actually quite low stress doing that under radar control if you're happy with the sudden change in routing.)

G

Pianorak
24th Jul 2009, 17:49
An alternative? Milton Keynes, WCO - WOD talk to Farnboro and request transit through their overhead - Haslemere - Petersfield follow the Motorway - Havant - EGHN.
Keeps you clear of London CTR/TMA and Southampton CTA.

Fly-by-Wife
24th Jul 2009, 20:08
Sam,

Have you considered going to the East of the LTMA? You also get great views of the Thames estuary and the South coast!

For example - Fenland, Colchester, Maidstone, Seaford, then follow the coast to Portsmouth, and turn left!

Longer, yes, but much easier VFR nav. and a lot more scenic. :ok:

FBW