PDA

View Full Version : Certifying a new aircraft under the LAA…

Grob Driver
24th Jul 2009, 11:10
Hello,

Can you help me with a query?...

If I were to replicate a single engine, single seat monoplane, what would be the process for getting the aircraft certified to fly under the LAA?

Kind regards
GD

Fitter2
24th Jul 2009, 12:22
Ring Turweston and start from there.

Or put a lot more detail on here about what you mean by 'replicate'.

And then ring Turweston - oh, I said that already.

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jul 2009, 15:00
You could also look at the raft of technical leaflets on the LAA's website, corresponding Technical Information Leaflets on the BMAA's, and CAP 733 on the CAA's website.

G

hatzflyer
24th Jul 2009, 15:18
That description basically covers everything from a VP1 to a Mustang.
Do you want to narrow it down a bit?

cats_five
24th Jul 2009, 15:59
'replicate'? You got one of those Star Trek gismos? Can you replicate me lots of £10 notes while you are about it, please? :) ;)

Brooklands
24th Jul 2009, 20:45
You will probalby have to read CS-VLA, or if you want to build it as a microlight BCAR section S. The LAA require designs to be broadly complient with one of these codes.

Brooklands

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jul 2009, 21:41
You will probalby have to read CS-VLA, or if you want to build it as a microlight BCAR section S. The LAA require designs to be broadly complient with one of these codes.

Brooklands

Possibly not - there are loopholes which allow an authentic replica of a known good type to be built and receive a PtF. It all rather depends upon what it is - if, say, you wanted to build a replica Minimax, well the type has such a good record it'd be mostly a case of proving that you'd authentically copied the original design. If you wanted to build a replica Sopwith Camel, well it's got no track record as a civil aircraft, so you'd be treating it as a new type. At the other end of the scale would be something like a Huntair Pathfinder or Midland Ultralights Sirocco, which are specifically banned from flying in the UK, so any "replica" would have to be a substantial redesign.

G

Grob Driver
25th Jul 2009, 07:53
Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific.... I want to build one of these...

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb254/xp282/Hillson_a.jpg

It's a Hillson bi mono built in the 1940's. Only one was ever built, and I cant find any plans so I would effectively be building a brand new aircraft. Steel tube construction, with a plywood cover.

Of course calling the LAA is the best place to start, but the person I need to talk to wasn't there yesterday, hence me asking here. I'll call them on Monday!

airborne_artist
25th Jul 2009, 08:21
Can imagine a few litters of kittens at LAA if you plan to build it to original spec, and drop the upper wing once airborne...:E

Grob Driver
25th Jul 2009, 08:33
Ye, I cant see them liking that idea either! I would plan to build it as a straight mono plane.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jul 2009, 08:45
That's going to be a new design job, almost certainly approved under LAA amateur design/build procedures to CS.VLA (or either BMAA or LAA as a Microlight to BCAR Section S, which may well be the easier route). Loads of information on both organisations' websites about that to work from, also some excellent textbooks: I'd start with Darrol Stinton's "Design of the Aeroplane".

G