PDA

View Full Version : Commuting to Swanwick

ATCNoob
23rd Jul 2009, 21:51
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before (I have searched with no luck!) but does anyone commute or know anyone that commutes to Swanwick (LACC) by train for work? I am only asking as if I get posted there that is probably the only way I will be able to commute. Driving is not an option as I don't drive (I have never needed to so I just haven't gotten my licence - stupid I know!). I could attempt to get my licence whilst I am at the college but I don't know if that's a good idea... What do you guys think? I have looked at the cost of both options and they seem to work out the same...

elandel
23rd Jul 2009, 22:12
I presume you mean as an operational ATCO? I think that would be impossible as you need to be in (TC) by 0645 in the morning - including Christmas!- and be there until 2200 at night - not the best times for public transport. I know some people used to use public transport at West Drayton but there were a lot more options there. Start booking the lessons!

ATCNoob
23rd Jul 2009, 23:30
Hi Elandel,

Yes, I did mean as an operational ATCO. Of course, what you say makes sense. I am just in a bit of a situation with regards to my wife and her job. We have lived in Bournemouth for the last 4 and a half years and she has worked her way up to a good position at the company she works for. We have discussed re-locating to Swanwick but she is not happy about it especially considering the current economic climate. As we live in Bournemouth, commuting is a possibility but as you have pointed out, not without a car. What to do, what to do...? I don't want to cram in driving lessons whilst at college but I guess I may have to. Would that be viable?

Quincy M.E.
24th Jul 2009, 06:00
What are you going to do if you get posted to Scottish? Thats an even bigger commute!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Jul 2009, 06:31
ATCNoob.. Methinks you should have thought this out much sooner!! Chances are that you will have to move before long. There are other places you could be posted apart from Swanwick and even at Swanwick you would find it very difficult to get there for some of the shifts by public transport. Some of the TC shifts start at 6am, not 6.45.

I wish you luck but urge you very strongly to get driving. It's unthinkable that a working family man should not be able to drive nowadays as public transport is hopelessly unreliable.

StillDark&Hungry
24th Jul 2009, 08:19
ATCNoob

There are many, many people who work at Swanwick and live in the Bournemouth area.
If the train times don't suit for certain shifts (which I'm sure they don't!) then pass the word around and I'm certain that you'll be able to join the many car sharing schemes as long as you'd be willing to part with petrol money as you won't be able to do your turn.

chevvron
24th Jul 2009, 09:29
A cheaper and quicker option (but not quite as pleasant given our weather) would be to complete CBT and buy a motorbike.

Standard Noise
24th Jul 2009, 13:57
I didn't drive when I started at Hurn and quickly realised that learning was good idea. Waited til I was at Gatters for a few months and did it on my days off. Should have done it sooner. Surely you can spare 2 or 3 hours a week for lessons, not that much time to devote to it, is it?

5milesbaby
24th Jul 2009, 13:59
StillDark&Hungry - that all depends on their generosity to pick you up and drop you off every time and that at least someone else is rostered the exact shift as you!

The shift patterns change but we have had known 5:30 am starts in AC, and we still have the lovely 3-11 pm shift.

Its been a long time since I did my OJTI at Gatwick but somewhere like that would be near impossible to get to without a car unless things have changed?

ATCNoob, get them lessons booked.

Northerner
24th Jul 2009, 14:49
HI ATCNoob,

I learnt to drive whilst at the college, although that's a few year ago now! Definitely do-able. 2 lessons a week for an hour a go, 20 lessons say, you'd be driving within 3 months....

There are plenty of folk who drive from the Bournemouth area to Swanwick so I'm sure you would be able to find someone to take you initially. If you don't like sponging you could always offer them something towards petrol. If you go by train the walk from Swanwick train station to Swanwick will take you about 25 mins. Trains run quite early, but not sure if early enough, you'd have to check.

As for going to other places, you'd have to check that out. Since I guess you could be posted anywhere you need to have some idea of what you might do if you did get sent to bonnie Scotland.

I understand the dilemma you have with your wife's job; guess the best thing is to bite the bullet and learn to drive! Oh and Chevvron's idea is very good; motorcycle CBT prob quicker, easier and a bike much cheaper than a car....

Cheers,
N

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to..."

Scooby Don't
24th Jul 2009, 14:58
I'm trying to avoid the word "househusband".... Oops! Too late.
Anyway, sensible advice. Try a google search for intensive driving courses. There are driving schools that do week-long courses with a test scheduled at the end of the week, and if there isn't one in Bournemouth then you can stay in a hotel/B&B for the week. You just have to get it done, and one would hope that your wife understands that...

I would also suggest an intensive course of Top Gear therapy. Male ATCOs as a minimum are usually slightly interested in cars. Many are obsessed with them and the car park at most units reflects not so much on the salary of ATCOs as it does their willingness to use vast amounts of credit to drive something interesting.

ATCNoob
24th Jul 2009, 18:51
Thanks everyone! Some helpful (and humourous!) answers to chew over. I have spoken to a motorbike buff at my current job and he says that I would need the full bike licence to ride on the motorways. It costs £600 plus these days and is likely to go up to £1000 so that seems out of the question. But thanks anyways Chevron!

Northerner - That is just what I was hoping to hear! I have decided to just do it when I have spare time. As you said, 2 or 3 hours a week for a few weeks and then book a test on a Saturday or something - whatever it takes! I should be able to get it done in no time...I was just a bit concerned about taking my focus off of the course for even a short while...

Scoobydon't - HAHA! No, not a house husband - under the thumb a little, maybe, but not a house husband! :) Thanks for the advice regarding the 'Top Gear' therapy! Advice taken on board!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR - Thanks for your input. I have thought about it long and hard and whilst I have been here I have had no reason to obtain my licence due to the close proximity of my job. Trust me, I already feel like a numpty for not having sorted it out sooner, but there are many other variables which have caused me to be in this position...

PDF
24th Jul 2009, 19:56
ATC noob - Are you on Area 220 ?

I am and living in Wimborne - Obviously not able to sort it out now as no idea what watch etc everyone will go onto if they pass college but i'll lift share with you in future!

Good luck with the driving! :ok:

kats-I
24th Jul 2009, 22:04
The only other option..Last resort really.
If you come to Swanwick then perhaps you could rent a room/flat while on shift and go home on your days off, just until you pass your driving test, You could have lessons in the off time between shifts. (Have to get the train or lift home to bournemouth though) Just a thought.

BigDaddyBoxMeal
24th Jul 2009, 23:09
Learning to drive while at college......

On the TATC "salary" ?!?! :}

ATCNoob
24th Jul 2009, 23:29
PDF - Yes, I am on the Area 220. Getting close now eh!?! How are you feeling about it. I am actually in Boscombe now - actually have been here for the last 18 months. Car sharing would be great, just need to get the darn licence!

Yes, the flat/room share option is a good one...thanks! That is last resort, but still may be needed...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Jul 2009, 07:14
<<Male ATCOs as a minimum are usually slightly interested in cars. Many are obsessed with them and the car park at most units reflects not so much on the salary of ATCOs>>

I know precisely what you mean.. My Austin Allegro and, a little later, my Reliant Robin (all yellow - HTF443N) used to turn some heads at the Heathrow car park.. How the rich live, eh?

Charley B
25th Jul 2009, 08:13
I couldn't believe it when we did the trip to West Drayton a couple of years ago- i was gobsmacked when we went into the Car Park - it was like the top of the Range Car Showroom:)
Brill day that I will never forget!!

PDF
25th Jul 2009, 22:27
Yes getting all a bit too close now! Have read the NAV package till I am blue in the face, currently going through the 50 planes! :ugh:

I'm not on Facebook so haven't had a chance to see everyone else on the course.................I have two more shifts at work then off for just over a week before we start!

Look forward to meeting you! :ok:

Avoiding_Action
26th Jul 2009, 13:35
It's going to suck when you get posted to Scotland. Especially as Ryanair has cut down its Bournemouth to Prestwick service.

Flaps ten please
28th Jul 2009, 23:07
I've looked at commuting by train but not a viable option, especially for the early starts (even worse at weekends) as it would involve a change at Southampton every trip each way.

Easily adds around 4 hours travel time to every working day and thats if they're reliable (which they are not)

Car sharing and donating towards petrol will often work, but not guaranteed.

I wonder if it would be cheaper to book an intensive driving course and buy a car (capable of making the 80 mile round trip every shift) or renting nearby and buying a bicycle?

CleartoFire
4th Aug 2009, 08:58
ATCNoob,

Just out of interest, how are you getting to the college? I seem to remember from my time there that public transport wasn't great.

CTF