PDA

View Full Version : Gigha

Hugh_Jarse
23rd Jul 2009, 10:25
Hi guys,

I'm considering a trip to Gigha, however I fly a retractable, nosewheel-equipped steed, which most certainly doesn't have Maul-like capabilities. Grass is fine, but not grass with ruddy great holes in it.

Does anyone have local and recent knowledge of the strip there, and have any comments ref smoothness of the strip etc ?

Thanks

Hugh

Rod1
23rd Jul 2009, 11:23
Not that recent, but I took an AA5B in some years ago. It was a bit rough and quite a significant slope, but I got in and out ok. Great place to visit, recommended “noise abatement” was to overfly the hotel nice and low and they send a car to get you, but the walk is very pleasant too.

Rod1

Mariner9
23rd Jul 2009, 13:08
Was there last summer in a Pioneer 300 (retractable & nosewheel) without any problems with the strip surface. A lovely destination :ok:

Hugh_Jarse
25th Jul 2009, 11:13
Thanks guys

'India-Mike
25th Jul 2009, 20:24
I fly a Chipmunk and I wouldn't go back. It's becoming a bit rough really. Grass length is usually ok, but the strip seems bothered by clumps of marsh-type grass or reeds.

Used to be a lovely destination. Apart from the Boat-House restaurant the place is frankly a bit of a dump now.

flybymike
26th Jul 2009, 23:21
Hugh, If you do decide to make the trip, please report the latest runway condition back here, because I have a trip in mind myself.

As has been remarked, it is a superb destination but the bugbear has always been runway condition.

englishal
27th Jul 2009, 09:50
I might be going there next week so will report on runway condition.....as long as the British Summer Weather improves a bit :hmm:

flybymike
27th Jul 2009, 12:12
Many thanks ;)

PENNINE BOY
28th Jul 2009, 11:51
I would give it a wide berth! The strip is very boggy at the bottom end. Unless we have a sustained dry period it is not adviseable to take a retractable a/c in :=

It's only Me
7th Feb 2010, 12:31
Any updates re the strip? Plan to take Mrs Me for a couple of nights in the summer. Have been there by motorhome and thought the place was superb; mind you, so was the weather!

General opinion seems to be like the 2 old gents from the Muppets ie it's great..... terrible or, it's terrible..... great!

Re Type; I have a Bulldog.

Thanks

Me

acoulson
8th Feb 2010, 07:28
We (2-up, a third full of fuel) took a PA28-161 into/out of there last July, had no problems with rough ground but I agree it was a bit damp at the extreme east end. Landed to the west (up slope) and departed east in a 5kt southerly - I wouldn't want to try a westerly up hill departure, you might want to factor that into your planning.
Very pleasant stay on the island, the hotel was welcoming, good food. I'm keen to go back this year. The island belongs to the islanders now, I understand, so there's an element of supporting the community too.
Andy

Flyingmac
8th Feb 2010, 09:21
Went into Gigha as part of an Island-hopping trip. Phoned ahead to get the sheep cleared off. Strip bumpy with marsh grass tussocks. Flaps etc got a nice coating of fresh sheep sh..... Watch out for the large boulders when turning into the parking area. Only went in because we had a free landing voucher. Landing fee a bit steep for what there is. (Nothing).
Didn't stay long as the midges were gathering. At least it's in the log book. Once.

dont overfil
8th Feb 2010, 19:57
A bit unfair to say there's nothing. Just a short walk to Achamore Gardens where there's some strange and unique plants. Give a donation for entry. A bit further on is the village, and if you are lucky you may see the ferry arriving, well it's more like a landing craft. Our landing fee also got us a lift to the hotel.
DO.

It's only Me
5th Jun 2010, 21:56
Went there as planned with Mrs Me and our Bulldog; think ahead. Although booked in some time ago, a check a few days in advance is a must to confirm that the grass is cut - and the sheep were still on the strip 20 mins after our planned departure time. However, fantastic place, people v friendly, great place to stay, the weather for us, was great and the strip was dry and smooth. Highly recommended.

Me

austerwobbler
6th Jun 2010, 07:02
Hi, pics of Gigha in 2009 on International Auster club web site in photo section if it helps you get an idea of runway condition :ok:

Austerwobbler