PDA

View Full Version : Gary Numans Green credentials?

dont overfil
23rd Jul 2009, 10:02
Gary Numan is to be the new face of "green" transport according to the Dundee Courier this morning. Has he parted with his T6?
DO.

XV255
23rd Jul 2009, 10:10
well according to wikipedia (so it MUST be true)

Numan has Asperger syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome), an autism spectrum disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum_disorder) which causes restricted social and communication skills. In a 2001 interview, he said: "Polite conversation has never been one of my strong points. Just recently I actually found out that I'd got a mild form of Asperger's syndrome which basically means I have trouble interacting with people. For years, I couldn't understand why people thought I was arrogant, but now it all makes more sense."

So an excellent PR choice by the tree hugger's

XV (off to hide from the incoming flames... )

jonkil
23rd Jul 2009, 11:02
In the current economic climate there is a general low tolerance of the green lobby. When I started flying out of my strip I had one local beardy sandal wearing smelly green activist, that is living of the state, come to me and ask how long I intended to carry out this environment damaging flying lark.
Told him if I was lucky I could probably hold a medical until I was 80 so at the current rate it would be roughly another 40 years or so and instructed him to f**k off and go get a job so my taxes could come down and he could make a real contribution to the country..... I have the "low tolerance" attitude towards em, great when they turn up on my door looking for a vote at election time, they generally exit the drive at high speed and at low altitude.

Say again s l o w l y
23rd Jul 2009, 12:15
I've flown with Gary and he seemed like a really nice bloke. This was a few years ago, but he mentioned that he'd got rid of the Harvard and was on the look out for something more spamcan like for touring.

DB6
23rd Jul 2009, 14:38
XV255, I must have that too - the wife keeps calling me an arrogant bastard. And I keep telling her to f**k off as well. Coincidence - I think not :}.
Don't know if Gary is follically challenged but the picure in the Courier just screamed RUG! (so I hope he isn't).

ShyTorque
23rd Jul 2009, 15:20
Gary's replied. He says up yours, chum. :)

chevvron
23rd Jul 2009, 16:42
I met him several times about 20-25 years ago, firstly when he was learning at 3 - Counties at Blackbushe, then a few years later when he kept his T6 at Fairoaks. I remember he'd buy oil by the case as the T6 leaked it like a sieve!
I was told when he got this PPL (on Cessna 150/152) he went out and bought a '182, but nobody had taught him about VP props and he tried to take off in coarse pitch........

DB6
23rd Jul 2009, 18:25
ShyTorque - yeah, figured someone like him might read these hallowed pages. As I say, hope it's not a rug or that's me in the **** :oh:.
As for a green tourer, I reckon an Extra 300 would fit the bill after a Harvard http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n107/DB6Mk2/Rock.gif. Relatively speaking.

The Original GF
23rd Jul 2009, 19:47
IMHO anyone who has attempted display formation aeros in a Harvard should give Mr Numan his due respect.

GF:ok:

rogcal
24th Jul 2009, 09:32
First and only time I saw this gentleman in the flesh was at a PFA rally at Wroughton almost two decades ago, when he was top billing on the display, advertised as the Gary Numan Harvard Racing Team, or something like that.

Two things I remember from that day are that I saw him sitting in the pilots briefing tent with all the seats around him empty with everyone else (including his own team members) being seated some distance from him, giving the impression he was being avoided and that when the air race commenced, his Harvard led the formation for one circuit prior to the start of the race proper, only to peel off and land as the remaining Harvards went on to race.

I often wonder if this was planned or he'd pulled out after going "tech" and as no announcement was made as to the latter being the cause, I had to draw my own conclusions.

I am left with a lasting image of an individual sitting alone and looking very forlorn!:(

jammydonut
24th Jul 2009, 09:58
I remember him trying to fly around the World and getting lost in India somewhere:bored:

Final 3 Greens
24th Jul 2009, 11:49
I remember seeing him around North Weald in the 90s, never knew him, but got the impression he was a decent bloke.

kevmusic
24th Jul 2009, 14:40
I saw him at Biggin in (I think) the early nineties, when his Harvard was painted up in IJN markings to simulate a Zero in a set piece display. His flying and timing looked pretty spot on to me. :ok:

John Blake (where is he now? - they don't make commentators like that anymore) decribed him as "just like the average shy, retiring pop star"!

Flying Lawyer
25th Jul 2009, 11:54
rogcal

An example of 2+2 = 5.
Two unrelated observations gave you a false impression.

Gary often accompanied the 'Harvard Formation Team' in the 1980s but didn't fly the full display because he didn't have enough formation experience. (I can't now remember if that changed later.) My impression was that the relationship was mutually advantageous: He gained experience by being with other Harvard owner/pilots and the team got more publicity (and possibly more airshow bookings?) because of his name and his 'Zero' Harvard.

Those of us involved in the display world at that time were sceptical about Gary when he first arrived (pop star who'd bought a warbird etc) but he was never shunned, very quickly proved himself to be a dedicated enthusiast who took his flying seriously and was fully accepted as 'one of us.'
He was taught to fly a Harvard by the hugely respected and popular former Test Pilot and display pilot Dizzy Addicot ( http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/201833-dizzy-addicott-rip.html ) and they became good friends.

Despite his fame in the pop music world at that time, Gary was very unassuming in the air display world - a thoroughly nice guy and enjoyable company.
I even bought one of his CDs just to find out what he did - I didn't play it much because (as he correctly predicted) it wasn't my kind of music. :eek: ;)

Tudor

Charlie Foxtrot India
25th Jul 2009, 14:31
Last time I saw Gary he was onstage at Southampton Gaumont, would have been about 30 years ago.

Still love the Tubeway Army stuff. Respect!

rogcal
25th Jul 2009, 16:10
Tudor

Like you said observations, related here by myself as the observer at the time and all a matter of fact.

It's not a perfect world and people will continue to draw conclusions, right or wrong, from what they see.

Guilty as charged!:(

sammypilot
26th Jul 2009, 09:31
According to my daughter, a fan of long standing, you can catch Gary Numan tomorrow, 27th July, at Salisbury in Wltshire. Howevey even she will agree that he has been folically challenged for many years.

Having met him at Liverpool in 1992 I found him a pleasant and obliging guy prepared to pose for photographs and sign autographs before going off to fly a display.