PDA

View Full Version : When does ATC use the visual?

extra-november
21st Jul 2009, 04:04
When does ATC use an ILS vs. a visual approach at a busy airport? On days when it is clear and a million I hear "expect ILS" and on days when the weather is nearly overcast I hear "expect the visual". What basis does ATC make this decision?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Jul 2009, 06:48
Traffic and weather conditions.. If the weather is good enough and not much happening then visual approaches may be available. Problem for ATC is that they don't know what the pilot will do. I had an aircraft on a long base leg once and he asked for a visual, which I apprfoved. He promptly turned back on to a downwind heading for 2-3 miles and really messed things up.

Unless rules have changed, in the UK it's the pilot who decides whether to accept a visual and the only time ATC could say "expect a visual approach" would be if the landing aid was u/s.

Quintilian
21st Jul 2009, 09:54
At my airport (large regional) we use visual for all the "locals" if the weather permits. The strange ones all get ILS.

If you have, lets say, 4-7 A/C inbound you might give the first two "DCT PT on 5 NM final" for visual, and then aim the rest for ILS. Then you can always shorten in these if traffic permits.

Standard Noise
21st Jul 2009, 10:14
I always work on the principal that if a pilot wants a visual, he/she will ask for it. Probably cos years ago I was taught that you shouldn't entice a pilot to make a visual approach because you didn't know what his view of the weather conditions were and it could lead a less experienced pilot to accept an approach which may not be the best one at the time.
Anyway, at a unit like Bristol many of the crews are based or at least regulars and you get to know who's going to ask for a visual.

hangten
21st Jul 2009, 10:34
We always use the ILS unless it's out for maintainence - which may happen in none CAVOK conditions if it's necessary.

ron83
21st Jul 2009, 14:10
I always work on the principal that if a pilot wants a visual, he/she will ask for it. Probably cos years ago I was taught that you shouldn't entice a pilot to make a visual approach because you didn't know what his view of the weather conditions were and it could lead a less experienced pilot to accept an approach which may not be the best one at the time.

Well,we also don't know if ILS equipment on board is serviceable...so I believe if pilot don't want to make visual for whatever reason they will say so...4444 clearly says that ATCO can initiate vectoring for visual...

Spitoon
21st Jul 2009, 15:27
Well,we also don't know if ILS equipment on board is serviceable...so I believe if pilot don't want to make visual for whatever reason they will say so...4444 clearly says that ATCO can initiate vectoring for visual..I'm with Standard on this.

ron, let's hope you never run into a pilot who isn't as self-assured as you expect. And it's good to know that if it's in an ICAO book it can never go wrong!

ron83
21st Jul 2009, 17:38
ron, let's hope you never run into a pilot who isn't as self-assured as you expect. And it's good to know that if it's in an ICAO book it can never go wrong!
I never said, that it never can go wrong, everything can go wrong, I just point out,that it's not only a pilot who can ask for visual, a lot depends on airport,whether there are mountains around or maybe a lot of vfr traffic and so on... I never said that I will insist on visual "advise if ready" everything else rests with the pilot...
Don't see any problems with visual approach if there are no significant obstacles in the vicinity

Canoehead
22nd Jul 2009, 17:47
Another use for visuals is at an airport with parallel runways which are too close together for simultaneous ILS's. So one gets the ILS, the other the visual. The way to do this is to vector one a/c all the way onto final keeping vertical with the parallel traffic, then issuing the visual approach , thus ensuring exact positioning of the a/c, which avoids said a/c turning base wherever they see fit, as was mentioned earlier. (this is the 'Reader's Digest' version of what we actually do...)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Jul 2009, 18:26
In the UK we can position a/c virtually alongside each other on parallel runways providing one pilot as the other in sight and can maintain visual separation - plus certain other conditions. However, that is not a "visual approach" as such. A "visual approach" here is an approach where the pilot reports that the visibility will permit a visual approach and landing. It is not a method of traffic separation.

Talkdownman
22nd Jul 2009, 19:46
In the UK an IFR 'Visual' approach is much different from a VFR approach:

Visual Approach

To expedite traffic at any time, IFR flights may be authorised to execute visual approaches if the pilot reports that he can maintain visual reference to the surface and:
a) the reported cloud ceiling is not below the initial approach level; or
b) the pilot reports at any time after commencing the approach procedure that the visibility will permit a visual approach and landing, and a reasonable assurance exists that this can be accomplished.

Standard separation shall be effected between such aircraft and other IFR and/or Special VFR aircraft.

Controllers shall exercise caution in initiating a visual approach when there is reason to believe that the flight crew concerned is not familiar with the aerodrome and its surrounding terrain.

Controllers should be aware that they should not clear an aircraft for a visual approach when the RVR is less than 800m. If a pilot requests a visual approach when the RVR is less than 800m, controllers should inform the pilot that this type of approach is unavailable and request the pilot’s intentions.