PDA

View Full Version : Turbulent, Jodel D9, single seaters...

iburnthings
19th Jul 2009, 10:26
Hi all,

I completed my PPL a couple of months back and I'm looking to move onto some more interesting flying...

I've been sifting through G-INFO and various websites, basically I'm looking for a Turbulent or similar single seat type.

I was just wondering whether anyone knows of any aircraft and owners I could get in touch with. there doesnt seem to be many groups based around these types that I can find.

Anyone have any personal experiences with these kind of aircraft? Obviously I'm going to need a tail wheel conversion and relative training.

Ideally I'm looking for something in the south west but I'm willing to travel for any interesting flying!

Just looking to see what I can come up with,

Any help appreciated

Kind regards,

Glen.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Jul 2009, 10:34
I've flown a reasonable sample of single seaters, although none of the types you're describing.

You're usually looking at fairly forgiving characteristics, but the combination of low inertia and highish drag makes them microlights in all but name. Legally speaking you'll need a group A taildragger rating, but the best preparation would be to spend some time in a draggy taildragging microlight trainer - which probably means a Thruster: any of the TST, T300 or T600N are approved for training use and will give you the sort of experience you need to safely fly a lightweight taildragger.

Personally, if I was looking for a light single seater, the aircraft which appeals to me most would be a Minimax.

G

ChampChump
19th Jul 2009, 13:08
One idea might be to contact your local LAA Strut (very active in the SW) where there's a great deal of experience available to someone considering flying in the LAA field (so to speak).

Getting tailwheel time may well lead you to fall in love with all sorts of aircraft...be warned.

I strongly advise you to visit the airfields where such people are to be found, and talk to them, which should lead to flying and the rest is just between you and your bank manager .....:ok:

Monocock
19th Jul 2009, 16:29
As well as the types you have mentioned, consider a Luton Minor.

Great aircraft and probably more suitable than a type like a Turbulent / Taylor Mono (that have got a much higher wing loading) if you have only just got your licence.

Mind you, with a name like yours, I would also steer well away from wood and fabric...

mikehallam
19th Jul 2009, 17:05
The Rans S4 is a more useable microlight than the Minimax, judging from which types attend fly-ins. Spares are available too.

If you've a few quid more the lighter end of the Rans S6 fleet is tried and tested with no snags and they have the distinct advantage of folding wings to ease the hangarage problem. The entry level Rotax 503 version is well loved and quicker than the 447 engined S4, able to cary two men plus camping gear across the Irish Sea last month.

See RansMail for July 2009 for details.
mike hallam.

betterfromabove
19th Jul 2009, 20:16
Still a share going in the D9 at White Waltham I believe....long way from SW though...

Airbus Girl
19th Jul 2009, 21:21
I can second the Luton Minor, but it depends on what level of comfort you require!! Its a great little taildragger, pretty basic - basic instruments, no flaps or anything like that! Flys pretty slowly and of course its open cockpit so the endurance of the aircraft can relate quite well to the endurance of the pilot :E

If you do a search on Wikipedia there is a page about them on there.

You could probably pick one up for around £5k!!! And they use about 2 gallons of fuel an hour, so pretty cheap to run. They do count as Group 'A' aircraft.

Fun to fly.

Bahn-Jeaux
20th Jul 2009, 08:24
Found this.

The Luton Minor - very affordable flying (http://www.fly365.co.uk/luton.html)

John Horovitz
20th Jul 2009, 08:28
I have owned two Tipsy Nippers and a Corben Baby Ace. Both nice aircraft but the Nipper is a wonderfully designed machine despite looking like a giant bumble bee. The trouble with it is that it is aerobatic and in Raymond Cuypers book it states that virtually all Nippers in Germany crashed, due to over exuberant flying by people not necessarily qualified to perform aerobatics. The engines fitted to them were derivations of the VW and most were not terribly reliable (although I believe that Barry Smiths 'Acro' engines are excellent).

The power-off descent would come as a surprise to most pilots only having flown Cessna / Piper aircraft. They are fitted with perspex covers at the wing/fuselage junction which we thought was for picking a field when the engine failed! I have had many, many engine failures in the Nipper and can confirm that the perspex was most useful.

Have often had a thought that if a two seater Nipper with a Continental 0-200was designed and manufactured it would be a wonderful training aircraft.

John

iburnthings
20th Jul 2009, 10:28
The Luton Minor looks ideal for what I'm looking for, shame theres nothing like that in SW or near Bristol.

If there was enough people interested I'd seriously consider setting up a group.

I'm also interested in the Tipsy Nipper, but they seem scarce also?

Why are these kind of aircraft not so much more popular? Whats the point pottering around in a 150 when you can have more fun and save money!

Right well im seriously conisdering the Jodel at White Waltham.

I'll keep looking.

SFCC
20th Jul 2009, 10:38
There will shortly be an immaculate Nipper on the market. Not going to be too cheap though.:O

Arclite01
20th Jul 2009, 10:39
Go do some time with the Tiger Club at Headcorn - they have Turbulents you can rent after you have been checked out - see if you really like them.

Glyn Richards is the man to speak with......................

Arc

ChampChump
20th Jul 2009, 13:01
Devon Strut's History (http://www.devonstrut.co.uk/pages/history.htm)

These people are a bit nearer to you. Just connect to the LAA's more affordable aircraft (I have to say that now there are some rather grand machines on the register) and huge knowledge base for guaranteed bliss.

I might have exaggerated the last bit just a tad, but you know what I mean....near bliss. ;)

Unusual Attitude
20th Jul 2009, 13:41
Lots of useful info and a very firendly bunch over at:-

Tipsy Nipper Owner's Group (http://www.tipsynipper.com/)

Bought one myself a couple of months ago and can confirm its an utter hoot to fly! I went for the Jabiru engined one as opposed to the VW as the Jab has more power, has an electric starter (no hand swinging) and should hopefully be more reliable.
If your tall you'll need one with the seat and pedal mod's but I'm 6'3" and with those done I can happily fly and aero mine.

They dont change hands very often though and prices have been strong for quite some time!

Regards

UA

blue up
21st Jul 2009, 18:28
If you want to save on hangarage but don't mind not clocking up too many miles per flying hour...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j279/foggythomas/goingforaweighing.jpg

shortstripper
21st Jul 2009, 19:01
Take a look at the website I'm (very slowly building) Dedicated to VW powered aeroplanes. I'll be adding more soon, but there's a taste there already :ok:

The Flying Bug (http://theflyingbug.com)

SS

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Jul 2009, 09:04
I agree, Tiger Club at Headcorn.

I have a Turbulent in NZ, great machine, 45 years old now, standard 1200 cc VW beefed up to 1400 cc.with bigger pots, coarser prop. gets me airborne in about 200 metres, and cruises at 80 kts.

VW very difficult to start, no impulse mag. Will develop a strong right arm. Tiger Club have modified most of theirs to electronic ignition, just need a gentle flick - very envious !

Had early engine failure on finals, subsequently attributed to letting the engine get too cold - had done the whole circuit at idle, 'cos being used to 10,000 ft of black tarmac, I felt I was too high and fast for the 1,000 ft grass strip I was approaching. Tiger Club - by e-mail - suggested that I never bring the power right back to idle until over the hedge, so now have a large red line painted on my rev. counter at 1200 rpm. Seems to work. Is the best fun I can think of with my clothes on.

Keep burning out exhaust pipes though, where the front, hot, bend meets the cold airlflow.

Enjoy.

Lister Noble
22nd Jul 2009, 10:37
I wonder if you could lag the pipe with heat shield tape they use in motorsport,maybe need a few clips to secure it?
Lister:)

BristolScout
22nd Jul 2009, 12:55
Not exactly your specification for a single-seater, but if you're looking for rewarding flying on a budget, the Thruster TST can be had for as little as £3500 (a couple on the BMAA website recently). It's a hoot to fly and you do have a second seat, should you want to share the experience.

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Jul 2009, 02:32
Lister Noble,

Thank you, yes, we've done that on an ALPI Pioneer, but ask 2 people and get 3 answers. Some motor sport guru's reckoned that they get condensation under the tape, which wears them out just as quickly - dunno, but when I get the beast going again I'm going to give it a go. Nothing to lose I feel.

iburnthings
23rd Jul 2009, 09:43
is that a clutton FRED blue up?

Anybody wanna go half ownership on one of these with me?

blue up
24th Jul 2009, 08:40
Hmmmmm. Funny you should say that. Might be a possibility.

Bahn-Jeaux
24th Jul 2009, 10:01
Blue Up, that aircraft of yours looks pretty nifty.
Found some pics of it together with other FREDs here. (http://www.geocities.com/fredplane/gallery4.htm)
Your page by any chance.

iburnthings
24th Jul 2009, 10:34
If anyones interested, I'm thinking of starting a FRED group in south england.

I can source an aircraft and it will possibly be the cheapest (and funnest) way of keeping PPL/group A license current, or cheapest hour building.

Just need some interested people...

Unusual Attitude
24th Jul 2009, 10:44
Group A Minimax on AFORS just now for £4750, looks very nice actually, you wont get much cheaper group A hours! (well maybe a VP1 if your brave enough!)

TEAM MINIMAX 91A ROTAX 503 (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=13467&imid=0)

24th Jul 2009, 19:15
Don't forget the Currie Wot, four wings beat two every time.

Just spent an hour in mine until heavy rain stopped play:(:(:(

cockney steve
26th Jul 2009, 18:06
There has been a Turbulent druine D31 in LOOP , for some months

G-ARIM...A/f = engine =zero hours. estate sale £4,490...dismantled and in dry storage, it's at North Berwick.

sounds a real cheap way to go flying, to me,but there's obviously a drawback to open-cockpit flying so there should be room to negotiate the price.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Jul 2009, 22:29
Cockney Steve

I stopped flying a Boeing 747 and went on to a Turbulent, and also have a syndicate share in an ALPI Pioneer - 300 variable pitch, retractable gear, 130 kt microlight, but I LOVE the Turbulent and fly it for preference, unless I need to get somewhere, when even the ALPI seems slow !

I get 78 knots out of the Turb. in cruise ( not lying, or I would have said 80 ! but it does depend on the prop. of course. More powerful 1600 cc engine won't give you more speed, but will help the rate oc climb.

Mine had been modified with a Corby Starlet canopy, but I usually take it off - if it isn't going to rain. You need to protect the back of the neck - White Silk Scarf !! - and I have the mandatory leather helmet and Mk VIII goggles, but you don't need them, a cap ( facing the proper way ! ) and sunglasses are just as good, just don't lean out !

A friend has built a new one from scratch, and fitted a 1600 cc VW with electronic ignition - he justs stands and flicks the prop, whereas I have developed a strong right arm, and turn up 30 minutes before I need to leave !

If you do buy, contact the Tiger Club at Headcorn, they run a fleet and have modified them to electonic ignition.

No idea of UK prices now, but I paid NZ$ 16k 8 years ago - was then about 5k UK

If you PM me I will send you a piece I wrote for a flying club following an engine failure on finals - let the engine get too cold following a long approach with the throttle fully closed ( no, not carb. ice ) Don't EVER pull the throttle right back on the VW until over the hedge.

Enjoy.

ExS.

hatzflyer
27th Jul 2009, 08:15
Having spent an hour in a jodel d9 this weekend, I can now comment on its flying qualities . It has a reputation for being the best handling of the small VW single seaters. I would rate it as very good, not quite as good as a sonerai.
An excellent way to get into the air very economically!

Justiciar
27th Jul 2009, 11:41
Hatzflyer:

Not sure if was you I spoke to last week about shares in D9, but very intersted in that type of aircraft and in any further thoughts you have regarding the general handling and ease of flying of the D9. Where is the D9 you flew based?

hatzflyer
27th Jul 2009, 12:36
yes,it was me , a/c is now at Tibenham.

Justiciar
27th Jul 2009, 12:49
Great. Will be in touch in a week or so (this weekend is taken up with the caravan, at Mrs. J's insistence:uhoh:).

rusty sparrow
27th Jul 2009, 14:21
I had my first flight in one this weekend - a delightful aircraft to fly. Flew for about 40 minutes and that used around 4.5 lt of fuel. So a lot of fun and cheap.

Highly recommended!:)