PDA

View Full Version : Any spare headsets?

Okavango
19th Jul 2009, 09:24
Hi. I've just joined a group and found out I'll need to provide my own headset (the airfield is away from the school where headsets were available). I'm going to buy a David Clark set in due course, but does anyone have a spare set of any type that is functional that I could use in the meantime and in future for friends? Any offers considered - ideally in the North West. Thanks.

fernytickles
19th Jul 2009, 13:35
So, you want someone to loan you (probably a complete stranger to them) their couple of hundred pounds worth of headset so you don't have to spend that sort of money on one yet yourself?

Hmmmmm..... seems to me thats asking for a lot of generosity from the pprune folks :confused:

pumuckl
19th Jul 2009, 15:53
Have you checked Ebay? There are usually a few going for quite cheap.

Cheers
p. :ok:

Rodent1982
19th Jul 2009, 16:19
What he is asking for is to 'borrow' a headset until he gets his David Clark, and then he can use it for passengers...

I'd say don't spend the hundreds on David Clark if you have enough for something a little cheaper in the mean time, or as suggested, go to E-Bay.

Personally, I've been using a PH40XL, basic but works very well until I can afford something a little better.

Okavango
19th Jul 2009, 16:20
Just to clarify - no I'm not expecting to borrow - I'm offering to buy any serviceable headset that isn't being used due to upgrades etc and I hope that came across in my original post to anyone with sense. Had already checked Ebay prior to note, but all have a timeframe and not necessarily what I'm looking for.

Monocock
19th Jul 2009, 16:26
Do you need to buy DC's? I have used Flightcom for 13 years and they are superb, and less than half the price.

Flightcom 4DLX Classic - Flightcom - Pilot Warehouse'ASCO (http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/product18810023catno1790023.html)

Also, they do a "listen only" version with no microphone and these are great if you have a wife.

Rodent1982
19th Jul 2009, 16:28
...but does anyone have a spare set of any type that is functional that I could use...

At no point do you mention purchasing said headset. We are all psychic now aparently.

However, have you had a word with the school you mentioned? They may have some around for sale due to upgrades etc as you mentioned, or at least know a few other schools, individuals locally whom might.

bucket_and_spade
19th Jul 2009, 16:30
On the contrary - the original post didn't suggest an exchange of money or a loan. The language implied you wanted a spare headset that someone had no need for and then intended to keep for friends.

A very sensible ;)

B&S

BRL
19th Jul 2009, 16:41
Also, they do a "listen only" version with no microphone and these are great if you have a wife.

But not for wearing around the house mate!!! :D

Rodent1982
19th Jul 2009, 16:58
Bit of superglue next flight might solve that... :)

fernytickles
20th Jul 2009, 02:38
Apologies, Okavango, I misread your post and jumped to the wrong conclusion :uhoh:

Pronto
21st Jul 2009, 12:29
I'd be careful buying a headset off ebay. I did so once, and it turned out to be an ex-helicopter headset which needed to be rebuilt before it would work with my other (identical, I thought) headset. I'd thought that it was just the plug arrangement that was different. How wrong could you get!

I use the now discontinued Peltor 7003, which I've had for 20 years. It's fine for me. The few times I've flown with a DC, I've found them to be heavier and not as comfortable.

I'm happy to recommend the Peltor range.

P

Okavango
21st Jul 2009, 22:00
Hi. Nothing much on Ebay. Think I might as well buy a new budget headset for the time being then get something decent in time. What is the general consensus on the ASA HS-1 Headset or Flightcom 4DLX? Not sure if it's a false economy to not fork out for the DC's now.

Bigglesthefrog
22nd Jul 2009, 14:19
I've said this before in this forum, but years ago I purchased a "Harry Mendelssohn" (I think it was the HM40) for a lot less than a David Clarke. One year or so later and with a bit of money in my pocket I bought the DCs.
Then, on a flight to the Schaffen Diest rally with my wife in the right hand chair, I asked her to take over whilst I scrambled in my bag to retrieve the dear old Harry Mendelssohns to ease the headache and sore ears caused by the DCs.
To this day I use the old black HM40s which have proved to be reliable, give wonderfully clear coms and have never conflicted with any headsets that have been connected in the other sockets.

Bahn-Jeaux
23rd Jul 2009, 11:00
FireFly Aviation - Firefly FLY750 pilot aviation headset (http://www.firefly-aviation.co.uk/home.php)

Super budget price here, and I believe its a fellow prooner who sells them.

DX Wombat
23rd Jul 2009, 12:53
they do a "listen only" version with no microphone and these are great if you have a wife.Or, if you are female, a husband :E :ok:

skua
23rd Jul 2009, 21:03
I am selling a pair of Pilot DNC XLs with both European and UK chargers. Great headsets, recommended by L**p as best value DNC gear.

Skua

Nearly There
23rd Jul 2009, 21:14
I have a set on ebay, still only 99pence! maybe that was you that PM'd with a cash offer?:E

Okavango
23rd Jul 2009, 22:53
Possibly was NT....are you in West Wales?! Picked up a set of 13.4's for £100 in the end - 2yrs old which seems fair? Appreciate all the advice and will put it to good use for the spare set I need to get in future for passengers.

Nearly There
24th Jul 2009, 17:49
Im on the Wirral so probably wasnt you, I sold a set of 10.30s on there recently mine went for £54(bargain) another pair the day before went for over a £100!