PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet recruitment is racist

ouzo
5th Apr 2001, 22:27
Why do easyjet continue to employ Australian and New Zealand Pilots over British and Europeans?
Easyjets policy on recruitment must be costing the company lots of money due to the fact that they nearly all leave within 2 years of joining (Virgin Blue aprox 12 pilots Emirates aprox 4 pilots with more to follow etc etc) it just doesent make any sense. So for those of us trying to get our first jet job prehaps we should apply to Australian and New Zealand airlines, Their recruitment policy must be reciprocal. I THINK NOT!!
P.S. Why is easyjet taking on so many Dutch 165hr pilots from C.T.C. is there a hint of bribery going on?

Jetdriver
5th Apr 2001, 22:52
And how exactly is this "Racist" ?

G-LOST
5th Apr 2001, 22:55
Get a life! Apart from the protectionist vagaries of the licensing system, aviation in the UK is now accepted to be subject to the forces of a global marketplace. If NZ and Aussie pilots have the skills, experience and attributes required, then so be it. Whilst a few have quickly returned to warmer climes, many intend to remain in the UK because they prefer aviation to lifestyle.

Either learn to spell or take more care with your presentation. That may enhance your job prospects.

Ivan Ivanovich
6th Apr 2001, 00:24
It's always going to be hard when you encounter non Brits in jobs with British companies as described in your post. It doesn't officially class as racism; presumably these pilots have UK or JAA licences, together with the necessary experience.

However it should begin to cause concern if non british pilots are being employed for lower financial rewards than British Nationals would accept. In this case, it is unlikely to be the situation. However it doesn't mean it doesn't go on. More to the point, it doesn't mean it won't go on in the future. That's the possible eventuality you you should worry about.

Blue Orion
6th Apr 2001, 00:38
Some twits just don't seem to realise that many Oz and NZ people have the right to live and work in the UK. So what?

FlapsOne
6th Apr 2001, 00:52
So Ouzo,

When were you turned down then?

kennedy
6th Apr 2001, 01:06
Sorry mate!

As a pom who went to oz to get my professional licences, worked over there, got great experience, and generally had a great time, I came back and converted my ATPL to the UK one( at a cost of about £11,000 )

Yes, I got one of those UK jobs and I know quite a few ozzies and kiwi's who also did,
to my knowledge none of them have work permits, all of them are on British (or EU) passports.

Just 'cause they have a different accent, doesn't meant they can't work and live here!

They get the easyjet jobs because they have the experience and are pretty good pilots, learn from them and don't slag them off!

As to those going back, can you blame them after the winter we've had this year!

Majorbyte
6th Apr 2001, 02:17
ouzo, I notice everyone who has replied to you has not seen your point of view, however, I too went to an easyjet interview, there were 5 of us, 2 french, 1 portugese, 1 american and myself (British) neadless to say I didn't get offered anything either, even though I am very experienced, so I do understand your view point, I think if I originated from the southern hemisphere or somewhere other than the UK, it would be a different story, anyway good luck with your search and don't let the other posters put you down.

OzPax1
6th Apr 2001, 02:24
Kennedy, In ONE word. NO!! :) Even In winter in Oz you wear shades http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif :)

[This message has been edited by OzPax1 (edited 05 April 2001).]

Raw Data
6th Apr 2001, 02:32
Can't get a job? Ah well, better blame everyone except yourself!

There is nothing racist in what Easyjet have done in employing Aussies and Kiwis, as most of them are the same race as most Brits (ie Caucasian). If you don't understand what racist actually means, don't use the word.

In any case, they employ the best person for the job (like most airlines). Give me three good reasons why Easyjet would prefer colonials to locals... can't, can you? That's because the prefer locals, if locals have the experience and qualifications. Much easier for them all round!

As others have said, almost every Aussie/Kiwi who works here has exactly the same right to do as any Brit. In other words, they have a UK passport. Most have had to do their licence twice (again when they get to the UK) and so have invested twice as much in their career as most Brits.

Ouzo, if you are going to blame others for your inadequacies, at least get your facts straight!!!

Majorbyte
6th Apr 2001, 02:44
Raw Data,
Why can't you leave ouzo alone, its just a react opinion based on him not getting the job, no more no less, however, having said that he does have a point, if I tried to go to Australia/France/Portugal/Spain or whatever and get a job I would probably not be sucessful.

Capt Vegemite
6th Apr 2001, 02:47
As someone who lived and worked in Blighty can I say what a wonderful time I had.
I didnt have passport and about every three weeks the company would have to send a truck load of paper work to London to keep my work permit valid.
At that time there was a real shortage in UK.
That was 20 years ago and both England AND Australia were much better places to live.
Last time I was there was 88 and very impressed with the turbans on the immigration officials.
BTW Im having steak and eggs for breakfast.

Tom Tipper
6th Apr 2001, 03:28
With all respect, the reason Aussies etc are being employed now is essentially the same reason they were used by the RAF in WW2. There weren't enough locals sufficiently experienced and/or adequate and the Aussies were good.

Raw Data
6th Apr 2001, 04:07
Majorbyte-

The reason I won't leave ouzo alone is that his or her inability to get a job at Easyjet has NOTHING to do with the people s/he blames.

S/he doesn't have a point, and neither do you. Both of you miss the point, which is that 99% of those from the Southern Hemisphere who work here have the required passport allowing them to do so. If YOU had an Aussie/NZ/wherever passport, you would have equal shot at a job in those countries- and the locals no doubt complaining about foreigners taking their jobs! The upside for you would be that most other countries are more likely to recognise your qualifications than the UK CAA are.

By the way, if you have an EU passport, you can apply for jobs in the EU countries that you name.

There is no unfairness at all in who Easyjet employ, at least not in the way ouzo claims. Ouzo would be better off finding ways to enhance his application, that slagging off airlines that won't employ him (or her).

Capt Claret
6th Apr 2001, 04:29
Ouzo,

you come over here and get all the Poms, Kiwis, Yanks, South Africans, etc. etc. etc. out of Australia, and I promise I'll come over there and remove all non Brits for you!

------------------
bottums up !

Capt Vegemite
6th Apr 2001, 11:39
Ouzo

It all sounds Greek to me.

[This message has been edited by Capt Vegemite (edited 06 April 2001).]

Zeitgebers
6th Apr 2001, 15:17
Thre Chief Pilot's a Kiwi, is he not ?

Flap 5
6th Apr 2001, 15:31
What is becoming apparent on this thread is that in the UK we are fair. You may well not get treated as fairly in other countries. Does that mean we should do the same?

brokepilot
6th Apr 2001, 21:09
OUZO
Why would you want to work for Easyjet amyway? Why not BA

RRtay
6th Apr 2001, 21:54
Of course they are using CTC pilots purely economical the pilot pays CTC for training and easyjet gets a free trained and ready to go FO for nothing and pays them less for their first few years of employment. Isn't it all economics nowadays?

springbok449
7th Apr 2001, 01:05
RRtay, no money gets paid from the FO to CTC.

Deadleg
7th Apr 2001, 02:10
OK then, I'll tell my British wife & children that I'm not allowed to earn a living in the UK. I wonder if other professions suffer from ignorant fools such as 'Ouzo'? You know mate, not all of us wild colonial boys came here to fly a shiny jet: I am flying Dash 8's as I was in Aus & I bloody well enjoy it. Better luck at your next interview(I'm serious! I hope a job changes your outlook)

brokepilot
7th Apr 2001, 04:29
OUZO
Have you lost your mind?? why would anybody pay for training??? people who pay for training totaly get what they have coming to them really bad pay, bad work rules and no self respect. and I bet can't even fly worth a S*it

buckland
7th Apr 2001, 14:33
What a thoughouly nasty thread. There will always be some people who apply for a job who don't fit in with what the company wants. To suggest that this is therefore "racist" is mostly just an excuse. Perhaps Ouzou cound't put the pipes together or couldn't talk sense in an interview. Get real and get a job somewhere else. I f you have the experience someone will want you.

ghost-rider
7th Apr 2001, 15:17
Maybe someone may want Ouzo's experience, but I doubt they'll want his attitude !

Ouzo - get a life !