PDA

View Full Version : Beagle Pup Query.

Guzlin Adnams
16th Jul 2009, 09:41
My boss used to fly a Beagle Pup, G-AXJI from airfields in south Essex many years ago. I took a photo of what we think is a Pup 150 at Rougham a couple of weeks ago at the fly-in, G-PUPP and that fueled his interest in wanting to find out if G-AXJI is still around. Doe's anyone know?
I'm a frustrated pilot, apparently you need more than one good eye but it doesn't stop my interest in all things aviation. Also, was/is the Pup that much better than a PA28?
Mant thanks for any assistance.

Jumbo Driver
16th Jul 2009, 09:47
Yes G-AXJI seems to be still around ... and the website at G-INFO (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=AXJI) will tell you more ...

JD
:)

znww5
16th Jul 2009, 10:01
1) The aircraft is still alive and well and currently owned by somebody in Linton, Derbyshire. If you want to search for the details on any aircraft it can be found at:
GINFO Database Search | Aircraft Register | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1)

Just type in the registration on the form and you will get chapter and verse.

2) As for monocular vision, you can fly on an NPPL - initially only solo after qualification, but possibly take passengers subject to a flight asssessment. The medical requirements are less stringent than for the PPL and the paperwork is signed by your own GP. The only disadvantage is that you can only fly within the UK and you can't add extra ratings such as night and instrument ratings. See the following web site for details: NPPL (http://www.nppl.uk.com)

Hope that helps :ok:

Rod1
16th Jul 2009, 12:32
I think that G-AXJI is on the Derby Aero club fleet.

“Also, was/is the Pup that much better than a PA28?”

Depends on your criteria;

On the plus side;

The pup is one of the best handling aircraft you could hope to fly
It is semi-aerobatic (I did my AOPA cert in one many years ago)
It looks very nice and the ergonomics are good.

On the down side, compared with a PA28;

Slow for the fuel burn,
Bits are hard to get
It is very over engineered so maintenance is expensive unless you can do the labor yourself.
It cost more to produce than it sold for, so there are not many around.
The doors are a nightmare and tend to come open unexpectedly.
Limited fuel capacity restricts the range (25 gal std)

I had a share in a pup 150 for a number of years and it was fun to fly, but hard work keeping it airworthy.

Rod1

Guzlin Adnams
16th Jul 2009, 13:15
Many thanks for your help chaps.:ok:

Oldpilot55
16th Jul 2009, 19:03
I've heard the over engineered comment before..I'm not an engineer but I would describe our Pup (G-PUPP) as well built.
We cruise at 100 knots and burn 32 litres an hour..slow compared with Rod's Ban-bi and less fuel efficient but we didn't have to build it and the purchase price was less.
We've never had trouble getting bits but we've only owned it 2 years.. a new flap motor last year and a refurbished oil temperature gauge is about all we have had to replace.
I admit the previous owner had a very hefty annual but a previous owner was a Mr Peter Teischman who many have described as a perfectionist. That is an injustice to his meticulous nature.
We've never had a problem with the doors but I've heard the comment about the doors before. They lock with a very resounding clunk..so far so good.
GPUPP has the 36 gallon tanks, basically two extra tanks outboard of the 24 gallon tanks and feeding into them by gravity. Five fuel drains to check though.
Our was low hours (1200 hours in 36 years) but, as explained above, meticulously maintained by perfectionists. Am I happy with it? 100% It flies like a dream, as Rod says not fast, sure another 20 knots would be great but then if it did 120 knots I would still want another 20 knots.
Pups do not always wish to leave the ground (particularly 100 hp versions) but they can handle roughish fields. The whole plane is built to last. There are some real Pup 100 enthusiasts at Bagby and they love the little engine version.
Ours was one of the last to be built..I think 173 were built in total..not a bad total for a nationalised industry, yes they were undepriced but not many folk would consider a PA28 superior to a Pup.

Arclite01
17th Jul 2009, 08:43
There is one near me at Shipdham and I think the last poster gives a very fair appraisal.

Arc

OldSAC
12th Apr 2013, 06:20
Hi Guzlin. I flew solo in G-AXJI back in 1971. It was operated at that time by Southend Aero Club and sported blue livery back then. My instructor was an ex-WW II Typhoon pilot - Eddy Summerville. Apparently the doors would fly open in a spin he told me, as it had not received the door lock modifications yet! It was the best in the fleet, being fully aerobatic (others in the fleet were two or three Piper Cherokees - 150 and 180).

I was 17 then and although not old enough to drive, 17 was old enough to hold a student pilot's license so I'd cycle to the flying club.......

Owner of the club was a Mr. Clack.

Just a bit of historical trivia regarding this particular grand aeroplane.

Heliplane
14th Apr 2013, 16:21
When I moved back to the UK after living in the US for several years and accumulating about 1,200 hours on mostly single engine Cessnas and Pipers, I started flying Pups (150 and 100) and Bulldogs with Skysport, which at that time had operations at Elstree and North Weald. I flew them fairly extensively for some years before buying a share in a Tiger.

They were an absolute joy to fly and much more of a "pilot's plane" than the PA28. It was really a plane that was strapped to the pilot's back and was very responsive. As others have said though, it not great on speed and gets a bit uncomfortable on longer legs (then again so does anything). Also, I found that the occupant of the rear seat in a Pup 150 seemed more prone to air sickness than in a PA28.

That being said, the PA28 is also a lovely plane to fly and is perhaps a better choice if you regularly fly longer distances. It really depends on what you requirements are.

I believe Skysport is still quite active at North Weald and Kemble.

JimCrawford
14th Apr 2013, 19:40
I had a share in a syndicate Pup (100 hp) for several years and found it a complete delight to fly. It would have been near perfect if they hadn't gone for the silly 'car doors' and had given it a proper canopy.

Nobody has yet mentioned in this thread the feature which sealed it's handling qualities; it had a proper stick, not a steering wheel, and some even had a mod for a throttle on the left hand cockpit wall which enabled 'right hand on stick, left hand on throttle' which is how man was designed to fly.

If could be flown on a LAA permit, for some EuroReason it cannot - unlike the Bulldog or Chipmunk, then it would be my choice for a two seat semi aerobatic fun tourer.

Jim

GGR
14th Apr 2013, 19:53
The Pup first came into my life in about 1976 at Donair East Midlands after which I was smitten. A move to Deltair Hawarden, (Dave Williams) afforded the delights of G-AXDU, G-AXCX, (first solo and GFT).

On the spares front I seem to recall the chaps at Derby airfield have some bits and pieces available?

GGR

freedomoftheair
15th Apr 2013, 03:19
Decades ago, Surrey and Kent Flying Club at Biggin Hill rented out Beagle Pups. I enjoyed flying them. Years later I was able to get my hands on a Bulldog. With twice the power and the view out of that glass canopy, that was really fun. :)

Shoestring Flyer
15th Apr 2013, 09:27
I believe G-AXJI is for sale if you wish to purchase a well cared for 150 Pup. For first contact I would suggest contacting Derby Aero Club for information although they are not the owner of the aircraft.