PDA

View Full Version : Flight Planning Software Solutions

Helo Jet Jock
15th Jul 2009, 18:21
Does anyone know what a typical airline pays for a full-up flight planning solution i.e., flight planning software, weather reporting, crew scheduling, the things you need to run a dispatch, etc. at a typical big airline?

welliewanger
15th Jul 2009, 23:15
In short: no :ok:
Sorry, I couldn't resist! But having worked on very large IT projects in a former life, I can tell you that the cost of the software would be one thing, but the licensing would be another.

Basically they pay a large fee for each of the servers which the software would run on (at least 2, possibly 4 or even more in a global operation) and a smaller fee for each machine which runs the client software (how many people need access to the software? In a large airline it could be hundreds or thousands) Client licenses typically cost £40 - £200 depending on the software.

Oh, and if the software developer is any good, they'll produce updates (just like the patches Windows is perpetually downloading) The airline will be forced to subscribe to these updates either:
- out of fear of running obsolete software (vulnerable to hackers, viruses etc. Or without the features required by the changing airline)
- or because the license only lasts for a year.

Companies caught running unlicensed software can be hit very hard. The software vendor may make them stop using the software overnight, and then they're really screwed!

Sorry, I haven't really answered your question at all. But, you can see that there are so many variables that it's virtually impossible to answer.