PDA

View Full Version : Landing at Liverpool - Options?

airbourne
15th Jul 2009, 11:39
I rang the GA section for landing at LPL and the charge for a Robinson R44 was £54 plus vat. Then someone told me about the Crowne Plaza in Speke Aerodrome. Rang today, they charge £60 for a t&g. Is there anywhere else near the airport that i could put a heli down to pick someone up and go?

Negative 'G'
15th Jul 2009, 16:09
Howsabout Aintree racecourse ?

Neg G:)

goatface
16th Jul 2009, 18:32
Do you really need to be that far into the City?
Speke is as far away from civilisation as you can get, Aintree isn't much better, helicopters are seen as the natural enemy in Scouse land because the locals are too thick to differentiate between the police helicopter and any other whirlybird.

Landing at Liverpool not only incurs the risk of a high landing fee, but laser pen attacks and attempted firebombing.

Where do you really need to be?

HeliCraig
17th Jul 2009, 11:52
I landed at LPL tail end of last year in a 44 - handling was excellent, a/c still intact when I got back the following day.

Joked with chap from handling company about it being a good job I had skids and not wheels - he saw the funny side!

airbourne
17th Jul 2009, 12:04
The Drive to Hawarden is an hour from LPL or else its 10 mins across the water. Ryanair flight into LPL, then what are my options for a heli to Hawarden?

Small Rodent Driver
17th Jul 2009, 13:59
There is a microlight strip at Ince to the north of Liverpool.

20mins drive from EGGP.

Will accept helicopters.

Keygrip
17th Jul 2009, 15:29
FFS! Any time spent driving away from LPL will likely incur taxi cab fees, increase the R44 round trip time and cost and eat into the fifty minutes you aim to save by flying across the Mersey instead of driving under it or around it.

£54 does not seem an awful lot of money to save the hassle and the aggro of what you are prepared to encounter to save the money.

Have you considered how you will get BACK if you have a return flight with Ryanair?

magpienja
17th Jul 2009, 18:06
Theres a hotel in runcorn 8mls east of EGGP that has a helipad, could find you a number if req.

Nick.

airbourne
18th Jul 2009, 00:59
You see thats the thing. £54 plus VAT x 2. Coming and going. That really adds up. Bad enough I have to pay for the dead leg of the heli.

Nick, if you can find out that hotel, that would be great.

magpienja
18th Jul 2009, 15:00
Ok there main number is 0844 980 2360, fax 01925 265 615,

Located 5mls south of Warrington, there are also a few company heli pads in the Stretton area near Warrington one belonging to Eddie Stobart trucking,

De Vere Venues : Contact Us (http://www.deverevenues.co.uk/find-venue/daresbury-park/contact-list.html)

Sorry I don't know for sure if they still take helicopters but they do have a pad worth a call.

Nick.

Cat.S
19th Jul 2009, 17:24
There's always Haydock Race Course, which is 25 minutes away by car, but to be honest, by the time you actually get to LPL from wherever you land, the money saved by landing elsewhere will be eaten uo by the extra transport costs.
You should also be aware that Ryanair etc occupy a different part of LPL to GA and it's quite a long way round by road. Perhaps you could negotiate a pickup as part of handling?

DX Wombat
21st Jul 2009, 23:45
Honestly! I don't know where some of you get your ideas of travel times from. The only sensible one is the time from Hawarden in North Wales and that would be on a day with light traffic. Assuming you do adhere to the speed limits, Ince is most definitely NOT a mere 20 mins from LPL, you can only just about get into the city centre from there at 00Silly hrs in 20 mins and as for Haydock being 25 mins away!!!!!! Now you really are joking. I DO know what I am talking about, I was born and brought up in Liverpool when the airport was still in its original location across the road at Speke and it would have been difficult enough then to manage the times suggested let alone now with the increased volume of traffic.

airbourne
18th Oct 2009, 00:52
Would anyone care to update this for me. Into LPL with Ryanair and then have to find somewhere to get a lift in a heli to harwarden. Where is that hotel in Runcorn? Or is there anywhere private that I can drop an R44 for a t&g?