PDA

View Full Version : A320 Max Taxi Speeds

Flyman35
14th Jul 2009, 11:45
does any one know what is the maximum taxi speed during straight taxi ways and high speed taxi ways and on the runway for example if you are doing back track what is your max speed on the runway,I discussed that with a friend and he said it is 30 knots on straight taxi ways and on the runway up to 72 knots which is the speed when Max Brakes is activated any body have any references please shoot.of course no more than 20 knots of the weiaght is greater than 76000 kg and no more than 10 knots during sharp turns.

Jimmy Do Little
14th Jul 2009, 13:43
The only reference in the FCOM is "...when taxi weight greater than 76000 kg, not greater than 20 knots during a turn..."

Some regulations (FAA for example) state, "...at a speed no greater than the average man can walk..."

In theory, less than 72 knots to prevent Autobrake from arming (Although, I can't recall if "Take Off Power being set" is an arming requirment - though I don't think that it is)

Good braking technique (Carbon Brakes) usually requires that you allow the speed to build up to about 30 knots, then apply one brake application to reduce the speed. Then, repeat. Albiet, I don't know many men who can walk at that speed.

Most Company SOP's will state a requirement. Ulitmately, use good judgment to keep things safe considering the local environment, etc.

Zippy Monster
14th Jul 2009, 13:46
My company's SOPs are max 30kt in a straight line and max 10kt in a 90-degree turn.

toby320
14th Jul 2009, 22:47
in reference of a stright taxi on fcoms are 30knots no other value except for those you mencion above, taxing on the runway must be limited in some regulation but I don't know sorry :confused:

Jimmy Do Little
15th Jul 2009, 04:08
taxing on the runway must be limited in some regulation but I don't know sorry

From the SOP....

After landing... at speed less than 70 knots...captain assumes control of the aircraft and completes the taxi..."

The question of Maximum taxi speed will ultimately become a debate over terms. ie: When does the take-off roll or landing roll become the "Taxi" phase.

capt.anjum.chhabra
15th Jul 2009, 19:11
above 34 35 kts it comes in dfdr so watch it