PDA

View Full Version : Bendix King KY97a Squelch

kevin_mayes
14th Jul 2009, 11:21
Hi, Guys
I have a Bendix KY97a in by Bell-47, the squelch threshold is set way, way to high, have to pull out the squelch knob when we need to copy even half strength stations, does anybody know if it is possible to adjust this...? is it a hardware tweak or can it be done from the front pannel via software...?
Regards
Kevin.

avionicsmoke
14th Jul 2009, 14:28
There are adjustments but would normally be carried out on the bench!
On the top of the unit there are four trimmers, usually under round sticky labels, the one nearest the front is carrier squelch and the one nearest the center is noise squelch.
It could be that you have a poor antenna/feeder, it would be worthwhile doing a VSWR check.

kevin_mayes
14th Jul 2009, 15:23
Hi, Thanks.
I have checked the SWR which is a tad high (1.8 to 1 in band middle - radio ham here so test kit and 2955 etc. is available) The radio is sensititve enough, its just once you get about four or five miles out from any airfield you have to pull the squelch knob out, if you do that you get clear comms to twenty miles plus...? Its just been through the "radio annual" so they maybe don't check this. I'll have a look to see if the sticky lables have been removed?
Would have been nice if it just had an old fashioned squelch adjustment knob on the front...
Thanks once again
Kevin.

SNS3Guppy
15th Jul 2009, 00:11
Kevin,

I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but seems to me that once the squelch knob is pulled out, it can be rotated to set user squelch...or am I thinking of a different unit?