PDA

View Full Version : NATS Medical hearing tolerances - help!

whitelighter
14th Jul 2009, 10:42
I am awaiting my NATS medical on the 31st of July, and I have been checking various requirements and while I wasnt aware of any issues, I decided to put myself through a few tests to see if there would be any problems.

I had an Audiogram this morning and while 90% of the results were well above the minimum requirements (no more than 10dbhr loss at the key frequencies) the test did show a 30dbhr loss in my right ear only at 500Hz. The rest of the test for the right ear matched the (perfect for my age) left ear.

NATS minimum is 20dbhr loss across the frequencies of 500Hz, 1000Hz, and 2000Hz. I noticed from the CAA website that JAR Class 1 ( which is what the CAA require for ATCOs) is a maximum loss of 35dbhr across the same frequencies.

I have arranged a second test as the audiologist said the result was very unusual as the rest of the range in the same ear was absolutely fine but I am still flapping a bit. Does anyone know if NATS will accept someone based on the CAA requirements if it does turn out to be a slight deficiency in that ear or am I totally screwed?

paperclip810
14th Jul 2009, 10:47
Why not call the NATS Medical department at Swanwick - you'll get the right answer from them with no speculation and they've always seemed friendly to me!

whitelighter
14th Jul 2009, 10:53
Probably sensible

twentypoint4
14th Jul 2009, 19:12
I had a pretty worrying situation at both my NATS and CAA medical. I had no idea before hand but it became apparent thay I have a pretty shoddy right ear, well atleast in comparison with my left.

However I got through both medicals with both telling me i was pretty much "on the limit" (probably thanks to my love of rock music).

FYI, in my right ear I had 20 db hearing loss at 500, 1k and 2kHz.

Good luck!

ZOOKER
14th Jul 2009, 19:30
mattaysmittay,
quite worrying, considering your stated age. I like 'rock' music too, but my hearing is OK. Do you use an iPod? If so be careful. :ok:
Strange about the observed differences though. Do you gravitate to the right of the music venue, or have you ever been shooting?

twentypoint4
14th Jul 2009, 19:40
It has taught me to be a bit more careful. And yes, I am still pretty young at 22, but the way I look at it i'm lucky to have learnt about it earlier rather than later.

Anyway, NATS can't have been to worried about it to take me on.

whitelighter
14th Jul 2009, 20:11
Hmm, for NATS their stated limit is indeed 20dbhr loss, where as the CAA quote 35dbhr (bit of a difference).

My ear is no worse than -5dbhr on all frequencies except 500Hz (1000HZ and 2000Hz show no loss) where there is an apparent 30dbhr loss which is worrying. NATS medical bods this morning said its all on a case by case basis but I still feel sick. Off to do another audigram tomorrow to see what happens :(

ZOOKER
14th Jul 2009, 20:22
If you can find an audiology department which uses a 'dead room', give them a call, they will check you out thoroughly. But stay away from Grand Prix circuits, Iron Maiden, iPods and airshows in the days before your appointment.