PDA

View Full Version : Post-PPL hour building around Tampa, FL

Tiny56
13th Jul 2009, 22:21
Hello!
I am planning to do some pleasure flying around Tampa, FL this November. I would be grateful for any suggestions regarding schools/clubs for aircraft rental (PA28, C172) and day/overnight trips.

Keygrip
14th Jul 2009, 02:50
A rather "blinkered", yet somewhat oxymoronic, view there?

What are you trying to achieve in the long run?

Big Pistons Forever
14th Jul 2009, 04:17
He specified "pleasure flying". Why is it a "blinkered view" to want to fly for the undeniable pleasure of experiencing the joy of flight in a new and interesting location ?

Tiny56
14th Jul 2009, 16:40
Keygrip, I am not sure what you mean. May I not simply wish to fly for pleasure with a basic PPL? Are you also suggesting that the oxymoron is Tampa and pleasure?

B2N2
14th Jul 2009, 23:03
The wording is post-PPL hour building which suggests a purpose other then recreation....eg timebuilding towards the 100 hr PIC requirement for the CPL.
Sure you can fly for fun....would you consider a little further south in Florida?

Tampa=pleasure....:}

Jofm5
14th Jul 2009, 23:27
post-PPL hour building which suggests a purpose other then recreation

As an PPL in the early stages, I am thinking of doing a similar sort of flying holiday trip early next year to build my hours. Not towards CPL but for group insurance requirements of 100hrs +.

You seem pretty much limited in your options as a recent PPL pass in my research with less than 100 hours if you wish to join a group. I am happy to be proved wrong but the ones I have looked at it would appear so.

Tiny56
15th Jul 2009, 11:12
My apologies for any confusion - by hour building I simply meant cockpit time for revalidation (as well as pleasure flying).

I have flown further south, from Naples over the Everglades and along the Keys, and I loved it! The other half is keen to expore sights around Tampa this time. She fancies a trip to Cedar Key, but I would be grateful for suggestions for other destinations.

FREQUENTFLYER1234
16th Jul 2009, 16:50
I've been around there quite a few times, I'm not sure where you are staying, I usually rent from Cirrus Aviation in Sarasota. The people are friendly and the aircraft have always been ok.

In terms of places to go there isn't much to see going further up the west coast apart from Cedar Key, which I tried to get into twice but couldn't cope with the crosswind! After that you're on the way up to Panama City which is only good on Spring Break!

I'm not sure what your experience is? Have you thought of going to the Bahamas? Now that is a good trip!

For shorter trips, I would suggest doing the scenic tour of Tampa to include the Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Anna Maria Island then head down the coast past Sarasota to Venice. If you stop there for lunch there is a great restaurant on the beach called Sharkeys just 5 minutes walk from the airport.

Depending on how many hours you want to do, you could head up to Savannah, Georgia which is a pretty nice place too. Or even get some experience of large airports and head into MIA.

Anyway all this just makes me wish I was there again, oh well just 4 months and I will be!

Good luck and enjoy it!

Torque Tonight
16th Jul 2009, 17:05
I'm a regular visitor to Sarasota ever since I did my first solo there. Great place to fly and holiday. I can recommend a few good bars in the area too!

B2N2
16th Jul 2009, 19:48
Cedar Key is not for the faint of heart.
AirNav: KCDK - George T Lewis Airport (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCDK)

Unless you really feel comfortable with short field operations.
It's nice but can be a little tricky.

Keygrip
16th Jul 2009, 20:24
2,355 feet.

Short?

Tiny56
17th Jul 2009, 09:03
Thank you for your suggestions.

FrequentFlyer1234, I shall make enquiries of Cirrus Aviation. We have booked flights to Tampa but made no other arrangments as yet. We'll be there in November too. I have some 130h, mainly in PA28s, but my flying tends to be on-off with several (sometimes many!) months between due to work and financial reasons. I like the thought of a trip to the Bahamas at some point in the future, but I'll stick to shorter trips this time. Returning to Venice and Sharkey's sounds good, although the other half may need some coaxing as she has bad memories of the beach having burnt her feet on the sand there!

Does anyone have any suggestions about Clearwater as a base?

Rodent1982
17th Jul 2009, 10:52
2,355 feet.

Short?

It's really really wide, but very short, and the threshold numbers are on the left and right of the runway :hmm:

B2N2
17th Jul 2009, 17:37
Additional Remarks
RY 05 HAS +3 FT BUSH AT RY END.
RY 23 HAS +2 FT BRUSH 15 FT ROAD AT END 0F RWY.
RY 23 APCH RATIO 22:1 TO DSPLCD THLD.
- SEA GULLS ON RY.
- TWY CLSD TO ACFT, USED AS PUBLIC ROAD.
- 4 FT FENCE 125 FT FM RY CENTERLINE LOCATED 400 FT 'NE' OF RY 23 THRLD & PARRALLEL TO PUBLIC ROAD.

and 10 fatalities in the last 10 years. (NTSB.gov)
Perfect airport for a recreational pilot who but my flying tends to be on-off with several (sometimes many!) months between due to work and financial reasons