PDA

View Full Version : Royal Aero Club

ATR42300
12th Jul 2009, 17:18
I would like to ask the average Private Pilot what he believes is the purpose or thw Royal Aero Club and what connections does he / she have?

I have my own thoughts but would be pleased to hear those of others

chrisN
12th Jul 2009, 19:15
The Royal Aero Club does not seek to do anything for the “average” PPL, as the average does not enter races or compete in events covered by its sporting remit. The average pilot does, however, benefit from its lobbying on matters of mutual concern to GA pilots of all sorts. If you are a member of one of its member bodies, LAA, BMFA, BGA, BMFA, BBAC etc., then your contribution gets there anyway. But if you were a member of one of those, you probably know that already, of course.

The RAeC is the federation of sporting aviation bodies in the UK and gives them representation on the FAI and, for negotiation with the EU, Europe Air Sports. It also issues competition licences and homologates records either directly or through its UK Air Sport member bodies .

Years ago AOPA decided that it was not part of the sporting aviation scene and holds itself separate from RAeC. There are mutual discussions when it suits the various participants, e.g. via GAAC where we all meet on planning matters.

If you wish to volunteer your services, and relieve some of the burden that other volunteers put in on behalf of UK’s GA pilots, feel free – perhaps through one of the “alphabet soup” organisations, as some of their critics sometimes disparagingly describe them.

You can join the RAeC as an individual member if you wish. I know of few who do that.

Chris N.