View Full Version : (FRTOL) on a non-UK JAA license

10th Jul 2009, 07:31
Is it possible to a FRTOL put on a license if it is a non-UK Jaa license.

10th Jul 2009, 10:27
hello there.

The UK FRTOL is not JAR, so generally, JAR member states do not put this on their licence. A few CAAs have their own RT ratings but these are generallyfor their own languages, so: no, the UK FRTOL cannot be added to another JAR licence.

10th Jul 2009, 11:53
Aye, I called the Caa and they said that once a person has RT privileges on their Jar CPL (non-UK) then they dont require a UK RT license.

10th Jul 2009, 18:06
The FRTOL is a separate stand alone licence and is not "PUT" onto any other licence. The resaon it is seperate is because it is issued to meet the requirements of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) of which neither the JAA (deceased) nor EASA are members! In some States RT still falls under the province of the Telecommunications rather than the Aviation administration.

A JAA pilots licence may be issued either with a seperate FRTOL (as per the UK) or the privileges of the FRTOL may be combined within that licence (though that contravenes the ITU requirements for the issue of a Radiotelephony Certificate unless they include specific statements in the limitations section)

The CAA's response fails to take into account the national regulations of each and every JAA State which may well be different, and obviously comes from someone at clerical level!