PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please - PPL Training

vabsie
7th Jul 2009, 19:36
Hi

I was hoping that some of you might have a bit of advice for me. This question might well be impossible to answer but am keen to hear your thoughts anyway.

I have only recently started my flight training in the UK (London area) and are on 7.5 hours so far (1 Trial Lesson & 6.5 Hours Training).

I started with Circuits on my last lesson and absolutely love flying and can't wait to go solo (even although I'm probably not quite ready yet).

That's a quick update on my training .. but here is my question:

There is a big chance that I will go and live in New Zealand for a few years (could be up to 5 or more) next year.

I have posted a question before about what it was like flying in NZ and received some good replies. I have also done a search on PPRuNe here:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/289580-ppl-new-zealand.html about the licensing differences between UK & NZ.

But, as for someone like myself who do not have a PPL yet, am I wasting my money to keep training in the UK when I will probably have to spend a lot to get a New Zealand conversion anyway?

If for whatever reason I don't finish my PPL in the UK before going to NZ, will my training hours in my logbook count towards the NZ PPL so that I can resume my training there?

Option 1 (My Preference)

To keep flying/training over weekend's in the UK (as at least I get to fly which keeps me happy!). Then (if I haven't completed my PPL yet), just before I go to NZ to take a few weeks off to finish & get my UK PPL. Then arrive in New Zealand, get NZ medical, do the additional Mountain Flying, Instrument Flying and Tests/Exams that might be required and also get an NZ PPL. Does this mean that I will actually hold a UK and NZ PPL? Would love to get my PPL in the UK as it means I would finish living in a great country for 10 years on a high note.

Option 2

Carry on with my training as I do at the moment and don't take a couple of weeks off at the end to finish it. Continue with NZ PPL when I get there (if UK hours count?) and do the NZ Skill Test. I guess this will mean that I won't have a UK PPL but only a New Zealand one.

Option 3

Stop now because I'm wasting ££ and all of this will be much cheaper in NZ. This is not my preferred option as it means I won't be flying for a while. Possibly makes sense from a financial point of view though.

Keen to hear your thoughts .. Option 1 is probably quite an expensive option? But I guess this might mean I could one day come back to the UK (which is a big possibility) and carry on flying here as I will also hold a UK PPL?

Thanks for reading I realise it's quite a long post!

Vabsie

2high2fastagain
7th Jul 2009, 20:54
Life is short and you want to fly - so why not do it now. Follow your heart. I got some great advice at my flying club which I always remember. "Treat it as a hobby and enjoy it. Don't get hung up about going solo or chasing the licence. It's a privilege to be up there."

Meanwhile, if you haven't already found it, have a look at the NZ CAA's website. There's a very helpful PDF file explaining how you get foreign licences recognised in NZ. Seems straightforward if you qualify in the UK. And even if you haven't qualified by then, you will at least know how to land the thing and navigate around in it.

Pilots (http://www.caa.govt.nz/pilots/pilots.htm)

foxmoth
7th Jul 2009, 21:32
I would imagine the UK hours will count and doubt that you need to go to option 3. Why not contact the NZ CAA Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand (http://www.caa.govt.nz/) and ask what the situation is with the conversion and how your hours count.

Whopity
8th Jul 2009, 06:56
Your best bet is always to go to another country with a licence in your hand however; any training conducted in the UK will count in terms of hours towards the NZ licence but, you will have to take the NZ written exams as well as the Skill test over there.

If you can finish in the UK it will only require a licence conversion and then you will have two licences.

vabsie
8th Jul 2009, 07:07
Thanks for the replies.

I will contact the NZ CAA as suggested and also have a look at the PDF.

Vabsie