PDA

View Full Version : Familiarisation Flight

Sideshow_90
6th Jul 2009, 22:33
Hi, I'm currently training to be an ATCO with NATS, is there any way I could get a "Familiarisation Flight" in a cockpit to see the other side of things. Who is the best person to contact?
Thanks very much

Scuzi
6th Jul 2009, 23:10
If you are at the college, the best person to contact is your course manager. If you are at a unit, you need to contact your Fam flight co-ordinator. Look on Natsnet, one of the recent news articles covers the new scheme in place for NERL units.

When I was doing unit training I never had any problem getting fam flights however I had to show my ATC licence on all of them. If you're a trainee at the college without a licence then it may not be possible.

Taffy1
7th Jul 2009, 23:24
You should get a couple of fam flights once college is completed, prior to starting at your unit, on the BA course that gets organized at EGLL, or have they gone and chopped this too.......:ugh:

Scuzi
7th Jul 2009, 23:46
From what I've heard on the grapevine, the BA course is no more.

Glamdring
8th Jul 2009, 07:09
BA course is gone. Flying lessons have gone. Closest you get to flying is paying the Holtmeister to take you up for a jaunt around the isle of Wight in his Cessna followed by what feels like a 25 mile ILS approach at 90kts :ok:

mr.777
8th Jul 2009, 07:37
paying the Holtmeister to take you up for a jaunt

"IFR shall not hinder VFR". :)

LEGAL TENDER
8th Jul 2009, 08:23
...and possibly overtake a Concorde ???

General_Kirby
8th Jul 2009, 15:04
And what were the rules about not making money (from skint TATC's) from flying unless you have a CPL...............:}

Although the BA course did have a good few hours of crap in it, the fam flights were essential, how can people who may have never had an interest in aviation leave college and go off to become controllers without ever having sat in a flight deck. Well done NATS:D:D

Rossoneri
8th Jul 2009, 19:33
The Holtmeister's round the IoW trips have gone the same way as BA's Famil flights...when will NATS realise quite how useful famil flights are?!