PDA

View Full Version : AFISO aerodrome flight information service officer

ambidextrous
6th Jul 2009, 11:01
Good day all,
Apologies if this subject has been aired recently although using the 'search' function did not throw up any info.
As a recently retired airframe driver who would like to keep a toe in the water of aviation can anyone advise on who/what/when/where could assist me in becoming an AFISO?
I have downloaded the current info from the CAA so I have the paperwork to hand. However up to 40 hours of supervised training is required at the designated airfield, any ideas as to how this could be achieved? Is there a market to justify the probable investment required?
With fraternal greetings,
ambi:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Jul 2009, 12:27
I don't know the score in Paraguay, but in the UK my undertanding is that it should not be too difficult to find an AFISO job. I've certainly been offered several since I retired.

finallyflying
6th Jul 2009, 12:32
Hi Ambi

I can't speak for Paraguay, but in the UK and Ireland becomming an AFISO is works along the same lines as becomming a controller - you don't go and get a licence off your own back and then job hunt with it; it's always done through the airport that needs the AFISO.

In other words, you first need to find an aerodrome/airport that needs an AFISO, and then go and apply for the job. In many smaller airports the AFISO role may also be combined with an ops officer type role, ie. when your not sat in the tower, then you're helping out with other areas in the airport, loading, fire and rescue etc.

Nice work if you can get it, I would think with your background in flying you have the basics covered many times over but would just need some brain-training in how to think like a controller / AFISO. Not that AFISO's 'control' as such but there are times when you will have to nudge the arrival flow in the right direction.

Good starting point would be a phone call to the relevant Airport's Ops Manager, mention your flying background and I would think you would have their attention straight away. Good Luck!

ambidextrous
6th Jul 2009, 12:50
For contributions received so far, many thanks.
Heathrow Director - For Paraguay read Abingdon! So if any of those jobs offered are still available perhaps you could point me in their direction?
regards,
ambi:ok:

chevvron
7th Jul 2009, 11:09
The term 'AFISO' was dispensed with years ago; it's now 'FISO (Aerodrome)' to distinguish it from 'FISO (Area)'.
With your prior experience , ambi, you may be able to apply for a licence without having to take the written exams. Contrary to what finally flying said, it IS possible to get the licence then hunt for a job - I know 'cos I did it when I retired from controlling. There should be a list of charges for the issue of the FISO Licence in the AIP.
Depending on your prior experience, you may get a reduction of MER from 40 hours; in my case it was reduced to 20 hours but it's up to the examiner at your airfield to 'make the case' for a reduction with SRG. By the way, you can only claim 4 hours training per day towards the MER.
Depending how far you're willing to commute, you could try Denham, White Waltham, Kemble or Blackbushe.

classicwings
8th Jul 2009, 08:53
but in the UK and Ireland becomming an AFISO is works along the same lines as becomming a controller - you don't go and get a licence off your own back and then job hunt with it; it's always done through the airport that needs the AFISO.

NOT SO! I recently obtained a FISO licence off my own back and work on a part time basis as a FISO at my local aerodrome. My main career is not in aviation and there wasnt a urge for me to obtain a licence but I decided that I wanted to get one and the aerodrome are now happy for me to train there.

Despite a previous career as an airline pilot I beleive one still needs to study and pass the 2 papers in Law & Procedures and Nav & Met held quarterly at SRG Gatwick each year as I did.

ambidextrous
8th Jul 2009, 16:50
To all who responded both publicly and via PM, many thanks for your advice.
Ambi:ok:

Philip4567
25th Oct 2009, 13:08
I'm pleased to have found at last someone out there that has sat these FISO ground examinations.

I'm taking my FISO Law and Procedures exam this coming week and am reading all the prescribed things on the syllabus in CAP427, but it would be useful to know the style of questions in the exam and even some examples: the only info I have from the CAA is that it is a one-hour multiple-choice paper. (Despite CAP427 saying that candidates will be sent information - "'Directions to Candidates" - when they register, all I was sent was an acknowledgement letter, and a phone call to CAA confirmed they don't send anything else.)

In recent FISO exams, have the CAA adjusted the questions (and the correct answers) to take account of the recent changes in the ANO and the new Rules of the Air 2007?? I ask, because CAP410 (which they advised to study) is wrong on many of these changes, as it hasn't been updated since 2002 and certainly gives incorrect information about, eg changes to VMC minima for helicopters and upper airspace and quadrantal flight levels above 195..... CAP427 also hasn't been updated, specifiying the 1996 Rules in the syllabus. I emailed the CAA to ask this, but they haven't replied yet. Somehow I suspect that if they haven't yet got around to updating CAP410 with the (now 2-yearold changes) they won't have adjusted their exam questions!

Does anyone know?

Incidentally, I was interested that an ATPL apparently took the Meteorology and Navigation paper as well as the Law and Procedures paper: any UK flight crew should be exempt from this (see CAP427, Ch2 4.4)): CAA confirmed that I was, having a basic PPL.