PDA

View Full Version : Qantas pilot's suicide thoughts

suicidepilot
5th Oct 2001, 09:53
I think that mental illness in pilots should be addressed and not left to rot, as was in my case.
Read this incredible story at www.thelifestoryofsantaclaus.com/qantaspilot (http://www.thelifestoryofsantaclaus.com/qantaspilot)

CaptA320
5th Oct 2001, 10:09
Bryan since it seems from your article that you were aware of your problems and the phobia you had that you were capable of shutting down engines why did you not approach your chief pilot and let him know what you're going through? I'm quite sure he would have removed you from duty.
People sometimes think that as professional pilots we are not suseptable to mental illness. In fact I would assume that with the stress and lifestyle we have we would be ideal candidates. I wish you all the best Bryan.

The Guvnor
5th Oct 2001, 11:28
Given the present market conditions, the levels of stress in the lives of all in the airline industry have increased dramatically. Whilst those of us with families will generally be percieved to be under the most risk because of the additional burden of conern for their welfare there is nevertheless a built-in support mechanism - if we can use it.

The people who are at most risk in reality are those who are single or who have communication problems with their spouse/family. In effect, they will internalise their problems and frequently will feel that they are in an increasingly tight spin with no way of pulling out.

This is where you can help. The old saying: a problem shared is a problem halved is never truer than just now. Encourage your colleagues to share their concerns with you - and talk about yours with them.

In the UK, the Samaritans - who offer a non-judgemental shoulder to cry on and a listening ear - can be contacted on 08457 90 90 90 or visit their website at The Samaritans (http://www.samaritans.co.uk/)

Roundout
5th Oct 2001, 11:51
With all due respect, I really do think this post should be in the Agony Aunt forum Bryan.

You didn't need a safety harness in the Electra cockpit - a strait-jacket would have worked just fine.

rebeccadblake
5th Oct 2001, 12:08
Why on earth did they let him fly???.

Had that been any brisish aviation qualifyed doctor, they would have signed him off, with no hestitance.

You are asked if you have any suicidal thoughts even medical you go to.

I like quantas as I know a friend who works for them, and he has never had a bad thing to say...