PDA

View Full Version : JAR ATPL to FAA PPL???

Eff Oh
1st Jul 2009, 16:36
Hi Guys
I have a JAR ATPL (UK Issued) and I was wondering what I need to do to apply for the FAA Licence. I believe with my ATPL I can get an FAA PPL, but what do I need to do to get it?? Also if I decided to get an FAA ATP licence, what additional exams would I need to do and can they be done in the UK??
Many thanks for your help.
EO. :ok:

172_driver
6th Jul 2009, 06:03
Yes, you can validate your UK license to a US license with private pilot privileges based on foreign license. I did it, based on a Swedish issued CPL.

The process is basically:

1. You fill in an FAA form, forgot the number, but the name is "Validation of foreign airman license" and send it to the FAA with a copy of your UK ATPL

2. FAA sends a facsimile to the UK CAA, they validate the truthfulness of your license

3. When your license is validated, the FAA sends you a "letter of authenticity"

4. When you have this letter, you go to the FSDO (regional FAA office), fill out a form called 8710 - "Airman certificate or rating application". Your license is issued.. done ;)

You should be eligible for an FAA ATP if you already have an ATPL issued by a contracting state, providing you meet the hour requirements of FAR 61.159.
What you need to do theory wise is an "ATP aeronautical knowledge test". I've not done the FAA ATP, but the knowledge test for instrument and commercial are a piece of cake. It could a good idea to study the FAR a bit before you try. Don't know if you can do it in UK. Flying wise what you need is an ATP check ride.

Hope it helped!

Eff Oh
6th Jul 2009, 09:16
Great.

Thanks for your reply. Am I right in saying that the "ATP aeronautical knowledge test" is a single exam?
EO

MarkerInbound
7th Jul 2009, 01:36
Yes. It is one test.

Eff Oh
7th Jul 2009, 09:50
Thanks mate :ok: