PDA

View Full Version : ScACC+MACC = 'Scottish Control'

Bigears
1st Jul 2009, 13:15
Header says it all.
Prestwick Centre callsign will be 'Scottish Control'.
Shanwick will remain 'Shanwick Oceanic'.
CAA (DAP) decision.

Scott Diamond
1st Jul 2009, 13:50
Too right.

ayrprox
1st Jul 2009, 14:06
was going to continue to call myself that anyway, regardless of the decision

ZOOKER
1st Jul 2009, 15:56
Will the FIR boundary be changed?
If not, it will be a huge chunk of 'delegated' airspace.

10W
1st Jul 2009, 16:34
It all ready has a huge chunk of delegated airspace. Most of the North Sea and some of the Irish Sea, for example.

oneowl
1st Jul 2009, 17:22
It seems that all the discussions, meetings and suggestion forums were yet again a perfect demonstration of what NATS is a world leader in. Wasting time, effort and cash instead of ironing out more pertinent issues at NPC:rolleyes:
I'll start working on the accent.

Ceannairceach
1st Jul 2009, 20:17
See the thing the company has never dealt with properly, perhaps understandably so considering the relative distances involved, is the whole it's not ScACC and it's not MACC anymore - it is a new unit called PC thing.

And this announcement is likely to add fire to the grumbling but still burning embers of both sides.

My Scottish colleagues, who already resent the amount of changes to their MOPS brought in as a result of the impending 2 centre policy, will see it as some sort of justice and a case of quite right too (despite the fact that technically they're moving unit too - PC is not ScOACC despite what yo/your gps might thing!) and my Manchester colleagues who already resent the 200 odd miles up the motorway they're having to shift their lives, amongst other things, will resent it even moreso now, rightly or wrongly.

I think some sort of middle ground when it came to something as simple as our moniker would have helped, especially when the company went out of it's way to poll opinion and have numerous meetings et al to discuss this very thing. I chucked Northern Control or the like into the pot, or Scotchester. Both rubbish of course.

But, ultimately, as Prestwick is indeed in Scotland, Scottish is the natural choice for the easy life brigade.

Personally, I couldn't care less. It's something we say on the radio. Not the be all and end all and hardly important considering the other issues at play.

I would say however that childishly gloating and perpetuating the "our unit is better than yours" nonsense in any form of seriousness won't help anyone.... :=

Now, where's my St. George Cross T-Shirt and mug combo.....

fisbangwollop
1st Jul 2009, 20:20
Scottish Information will suit me fine too...:ok:

Avoiding_Action
1st Jul 2009, 20:32
Why was there a need to change it? Surely it wouldn't be too hard to remember who you are when cross training starts to occur. It seems a bit strange that a north bound plane out of birmingham will be told to contact Scottish control.

Scott Diamond
1st Jul 2009, 21:15
It seems that all the discussions, meetings and suggestion forums were yet again a perfect demonstration of what NATS is a world leader in. Wasting time, effort and cash instead of ironing out more pertinent issues at NPC:rolleyes:
I'll start working on the accent.

It's not the accent, it's the lingo! I'll give you a hand to start you off.

Geez a clue = squawk ident
Wit ye dain = report your speed
Oan year bike = contact xxxx on xxx.xx
Yer oan yerself bigman = Radar services terminated
Scoot aboot it = Increase your speed to xxx knots

Any more suggestions? :ooh:

Not Long Now
1st Jul 2009, 21:16
Fantastic news for NATS' green effort then. Just passing Leicester and already contacting Scottish. think of the miles and hence tonnes of CO2 it must save.....

Someone_Else
1st Jul 2009, 21:51
Aww, that's a shame..I was looking forward to "Manick Control" being put forward.

cdtaylor_nats
2nd Jul 2009, 08:38
More Scottish ATC terminology

Aye, that'll be right = I considered your suggestion and rejected it
You're for a doin = Please drop by the tower for a chat after landing
Haud yer wheesht = Please refrain from talking on this frequency

ZOOKER
2nd Jul 2009, 09:19
Also,
See You jimmy = Are you on this frequency?
Will Ye No Come Back Again = Do you wish to make another approach?
It's a braw, bricht, moonlit nicht the nicht. = CAVOK.
Hoots Mon ! = Avoiding action.
Roamin' In The Gloamin'. = Operating outside Controlled Airspace. (This often leads to the use of Hoots Mon ! - see above).

ZOOKER
2nd Jul 2009, 10:46
Wee, sleekit, cow'rin tim'rous beastie. = NATS ATC union negotiator. :E

ImnotanERIC
2nd Jul 2009, 16:51
Geeze a gobble ya dobber

rab-k
5th Jul 2009, 20:39
I smell thread creep, driven by the usual suspects and their usual brand of keich. :E

Shanwick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanwick), a portmanteau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmanteau) of Shannon and Prestwick, wouldn't change anyway, so no surprises there.

I'd be interested to hear the logic behind the CAA refusing NATS Mgt's preferred option of "Prestwick". Or is it down to £ as usual; perhaps the CAA simply wanting to avoid the costs incurred by having to alter all the relevant documents. Can't think of any other reason...

A I
6th Jul 2009, 08:30
London FIR gives "London Control"
Scottish FIR gives "Scottish Control"
Perhaps "Manchester Control" should always have been "London Control" as it was almost entirely operating in the London FIR

Sorry for the Mancunians but that's life. Maybe they should have been sent South. :ugh::E

Of course, after Scottish independence, the Manchester bit will have to come back South - maybe to a country house near Preston.