PDA

View Full Version : Aerial Photography

Maxrevs55
30th Jun 2009, 04:47
Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on this. I'm looking into the possibility of setting up a small business for aerial photography as a way of making some cash and building my hours (low hours CPL).

My question is can I simply rent an aircraft from a flying club or would I need to do something with TC as it comes under Speciality Air Services?

I've been searching the internet but can't really find any reference (other than countless low flying offences).

Any thoughts appreciated.

KTA
30th Jun 2009, 23:23
That is a nice ambition that you have here.

I did a lot of photo shoots in an airplane as a photographer, I'm into getting my CPL here in Canada.

From what my experience taught me all around the world is that first of all any commercial oriented photography (that means for sale with profit, it doesn't involve making it pay to cover ONLY the expenses) is to be done with a CPL pilot, in a commercial aircraft.

So first is that the PIC MUST be a CPL,

Second, a commercial aircraft is any aircraft that is registered for a commercial purpose, whether it is a flight training, passenger carrying, Agricultural ....
A flying club (which as membership fees) is a non-profit organization by definition and the use of these aircrafts as well as a privately owned airplane are not registered to be used for a "money making" purpose.

So second you have to seek a COMMERCIAL registered aircraft.

My word is stick to regulations if you can't (not always easy to find what you need in the bush :)), you can always use write it as a non-profit way (covering the expenses) and write the rest as gift for given service. But don't abuse that term too much :).

KTA
30th Jun 2009, 23:55
Here is a couple of things I found in the CARs :

"specialty air services" - means aerial mapping, aerial surveying, aerial photography, forest fire management, fire fighting, aerial advertising, glider towing, parachute jumping, aerial construction, heli-logging, aerial sightseeing, flight training, aerial inspection and surveillance and aerial spraying services;

623.65(b) and (c) Minimum Altitudes and Distances

(1) The following standards apply to the application for and the operation of an aircraft for the purpose of conducting aerial application, aerial inspection, aerial photography or helicopter class B, C, or D external load operations at altitudes and distances less than those set out in CAR 602.14(2)(a) and CAR(16)(2).

Such an operation goes into part 702 Commercial Air Services
Canadian Aviation Regulations - Part VII, Subpart 2 - Aerial Work (http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/affairs/cars/part7/702.htm#702_01)

By looking at the CARs I found nothing that would prohibit you from using any kind of aircraft for aerial photography as long as the PIC is a CPL and that the altitudes and distances used do not require a special flight permit.
So go ahead :)

Ste88
1st Jul 2009, 12:29
It's very nice purphose...

pls mantain us informed about it

Maxrevs55
2nd Jul 2009, 01:10
Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I currently have a Commercial Licence and the Flying Club/School I use is registered for Flight Training and Charter operations. In that respect myself and the aircraft should be covered.

I guess the problem(s) is/are that it seems too easy to just hire an aircraft, take someone up with me, and take photos. I could, and probably should, ask the flying school but I'm not sure how receptive they would be to me making money whilst using their aircraft. The other factor might be insurance and whether I would still be covered under the school's insurance.

I'll have to have a discreet word with one of the instructors and sound them out.