PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA - March of the Railway Children

PeltonLevel
26th Jun 2009, 06:54
The UK Department against Transport has just appointed Andrew Haines as the first Chief Executive of the CAA. Andrew has a long history in railway operations (BR, Railtrack, SouthWest Trains, First GreatWestern) but no aviation background!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Jun 2009, 07:45
Presumably another gent who will walk around Swanwick some afternoon, look at his watch and ask "What time do you close?"

eglnyt
26th Jun 2009, 07:50
No aviation experience but he seems rather more suitable than the person appointed to be Chairman.

11K-AVML
26th Jun 2009, 18:51
Hmm, what positions did he hold?

BR - What were they like - a bit before my time.
RailTrack - went bust,
SWT - Reputation for being expensive and providing a poor service (at least in my opinion :}) Owned by StageCoach who were guilty of predatory pricing on their bus routes.
FGW - Don't they have a reputation of being severely overcrowded?

goatface
26th Jun 2009, 21:58
So who should they employ?
Richard Branson? Michaeal OLeary, Willie Walsh, Gordon Brown, Fred Goodwin, Capita?

The CAA is necessary evil which cannot run on a pure profit and loss basis, better it's run by a Government manderin than someone who knows about running a proper business.

But I'm sure you know better................

Ancient Observer
26th Jun 2009, 22:02
I guess he'll need some training???

ZOOKER
26th Jun 2009, 22:46
goatface,
not sure that the CAA is a necessary evil. They do MATSpt1, MORs, medicals and ATC Licensing, after all. :ok:
Many years ago, in the days before 'Rip-Off Britain', (a term you don't hear very often these days), NATS was "A Joint Civil Aviation Authority/Ministry Of Defence Service". - Happy days, I believe. ATC staff treated like the professionals that they were/are, no 'CEO's (and their wives) helping themselves to 50+% pay-rises, SAFETY as standard, etc.

Ancient Observer
27th Jun 2009, 17:16
Given that the train services seem to stop for bank holidays, and close entirely around Christmas/New Year, do you think he'll aim for that in Aviation aswell??
It's funny that neither the Chairperson - Hutton, a political appointee, nor the CEO have any Aviation experience. At least McNulty knew something about Aviation.

goatface
27th Jun 2009, 18:34
Happy days indeed Zooker, many happy days........

Now then, back to present day lunacy........:*