PDA

View Full Version : Embry Riddle University

FL470
22nd Jun 2009, 16:25
I'm looking for an online degree in Aviation. Embry-Riddle University has got a few of them.

Does anybody know if this school is any good (value for money, career lookout, etc.)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

FL470

Aussie
22nd Jun 2009, 21:50
On that note, does anyone know if you have to be in the states to complete it?

MarkerInbound
23rd Jun 2009, 01:24
I have no idea about their online courses, their on site program is considered overpriced by most folks. As to career outlook, I'd say about nil for the next few years.

FL470
23rd Jun 2009, 11:15
Thanks for the replies!

You definitely don't have to be on-site, not even for the exams.

Aussie
24th Jun 2009, 19:34
interesting.

Is it still 4yrs long doing it via distance, or extended longer?

Northbeach
25th Jun 2009, 14:52
A misconception I had early in my career was that the name of the school where a pilot did their flight training really mattered. Perhaps your school’s name does matter if you are seeking to enter your country’s top layer legal corporation or you are looking for the “right” political connections to access the top echelons of government.

When it comes to pilot employment nobody is going to say “applicant so and so has a degree from Embry Riddle, let’s hire him now”. Frankly, the name of the school really doesn’t matter much.

What will matter when you go looking for a flying job is the state of the economy: when times are good and you have a medical and whatever minimums are really required you will get hired. When the economy is in retraction it is extremely difficult to gain employment. What is more important than the name of the school is the ratings you have, the number of flight hours, the way you present yourself and how determined you are at landing that job.

My impression of Embry Riddle is that they market themselves well, but are overpriced. I have no personal bias against them. You will drop a load of money, and you will get good training. Many other places will also provide good training. I would not drop a load of money at any school thinking that the school’s name is going to put me at the front of any pilot hiring line. Simply – it is not that big of a deal – regardless of what the school’s recruiting advertisements say.