PDA

View Full Version : UAV's: Unmanned Aviation Vehicles

philc1983
22nd Jun 2009, 00:25
Was hoping somebody could direct me to the correct section in the 'Rules of the Air' that may contain more information regarding UAV's and how they must (or must not for that matter) comply with them. I know this will be fairly similar to how model aircraft and the like must adhere but wondered if anybody had any knowledge on this matter and would be kind enough to impart it for my benefit.

Ever grateful, :)

Phil.

Spitoon
22nd Jun 2009, 07:32
Although not new in concept, UAVs are relatively new in the air. One of the biggest problems that the UAV industry seems to be having is finding out what regulatory rules apply to their systems.

With respect to the Rules of the Air, the last time I was involved in any discussions (about 5 years ago) the UK position was that a UAV had to comply with the rules...just like any other aircraft of comprable size and capability etc. That is to say, other aircraft flying in the same airspace should be able to expect a UAV to follow the same rules as a manned aircraft.

Things may have moved on a lot since then because EASA and Eurocontrol have been involved and are trying to set Europe-wide rules. For the UK CAP 722: Unmanned Aircraft System Operations in UK Airspace - Guidance might be of some interest.

Your suggestion that the rules will be similar to those applicable to a model aircraft may be flawed - some UAVs are not far off the size of a B737. And their capabilities range from something like a model to totally autonomous operation whilst completing a mission.

I don't know what your interest is but when I was involved while the UAV industry seemed able to build (or envisage) some fascinating vehicles and control systems, their grasp of the rules and dealing with regulators and of fitting into an established aviation network was woefully naive.

ETOPS
24th Jun 2009, 15:42
One of the problems with UAVs and airspace is taxing the legal brains as we speak. If a UAV requires clearance to operate in or cross controlled airspace and the operator is based in a foreign country, how does ATC know that the craft will comply with its instructions?

A manned aircraft has a crew onboard who communicate directly using R/T and have a vested interest in safety as they are airborne. The UAV operator may be thousands of miles away and could simply 'phone ATC via landline. Does your local ATC issue clearances to airborne vehicles via the 'phone? Who do you indict if instructions are not followed?

More work needed I think...............

Spitoon
24th Jun 2009, 18:03
One of the problems with UAVs and airspace is taxing the legal brains as we speak. If a UAV requires clearance to operate in or cross controlled airspace and the operator is based in a foreign country, how does ATC know that the craft will comply with its instructions?Same question applies to manned aircraft.

Sadly this is just one of many questions about UAV ops that the current ruleset doesn't cope well with. But to answer your particular concern, yes, i have issued a clearance by telephone on a good number of occasions.

philc1983
25th Jun 2009, 09:40
Many thanks for your responses, I'll take a look at those avenues suggested. I guess i completely overlooked the fact that UAV's could be 'normal' sized aircraft thinking more along the lines of aircraft like the Zephyr (HALE UAV).

I suppose it makes sense that they should comply with the rules manned aircraft have to but i don't see the argument, 'who could ATC vilify if a clearance wasn't met?'. Surely the UAV operator (ie the pilot) would have to accept responsibility for the aircraft and any hiccups that occur as they although not in the machine are controlling its actions. Can't tell the puppet off only the puppeteer. ;)

Northbeach
25th Jun 2009, 14:32
I am coming across a NOTAM more frequently that warns the prospective aviator of the presence of UAVs in some particular airspace. I saw this NOTAM for the first time a year and half ago and thought it rather odd. A call to my dispatcher confirmed that it was an unmanned machine in flight. Now the same NOTAM is sprinkled around the flight paperwork with increasing frequency.

On YouTube there is a video of a near miss between a transport category aircraft and a UAV. I believe it was a military transport somewhere in Afghanistan or Iraq. UAVs in “our airspace” will become a problem and unfortunately will probably result in fatalities before safe integration takes place.