PDA

View Full Version : Jobs as an ATC

ksa5223
21st Jun 2009, 04:25
Hello,

I currently fly planes for money, however have always been interested in doing some ATC somewhere down the track.

Would like to know what the different routes are to becoming qualified to be an ATC in Australia. Also if its as simple as sitting a whole bunch of exams like the Pilots License in Aus?

Would it be possible to somehow get a weekend job doing ATC at a GAAP aerodrome or something similar? Or is it always a full time job only?

I tried out for a job with Airservices as an ATC a few years back but missed out by a margin, hence became a pilot :ok:

Is it possible to become qualified and do ATC on a part time basis anywhere?

melbATC
21st Jun 2009, 04:36
In Australia there are only currently 2 options to get into ATC without prior experience, either through the course run by airservices australia or through the RAAF.

The basic course through airservices is a 10 month full time paid training course, followed by at least 4 months on the job training.

There is no current way to work as an ATC part time as far as I am aware.

There is currently a shortage of enroute controllers in australia so now is a good time to apply if interested, while currently there is no plans to directly hire any tower controllers.

Hope this helps.

undervaluedATC
21st Jun 2009, 04:45
ksa5223:
Jobs as an ATC
Hello,

I currently fly planes for money, however have always been interested in doing some ATC somewhere down the track.

an avation background would be helpful in an ATC career

Would like to know what the different routes are to becoming qualified to be an ATC in Australia. Also if its as simple as sitting a whole bunch of exams like the Pilots License in Aus?

either train as a RAAFIE and wait for AsA to poach you :rolleyes:
or get an application into AsA:
Airservices Australia - Careers - Air Traffic Controller (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com.au/careers/atc/default.asp)
and wait for the (variable length of time) selection process (6 to 12months)
then do a ab-initio course (about 12 months)
then training about 4-6 months

Would it be possible to somehow get a weekend job doing ATC at a GAAP aerodrome or something similar? Or is it always a full time job only?

ah-ha-ha-ha!
splitting my sides laughing.
absolutely full-time, and all the overtime you can handle (and then some)

perhaps you should read all 60-odd pages of this thread:
http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/336598-merged-asa-staff-shortage.html

I tried out for a job with Airservices as an ATC a few years back but missed out by a margin, hence became a pilot http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

narrow escape?

do you have an european passport?

EDIT damn, beaten to reply while finding web links

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Jun 2009, 06:25
<<Also if its as simple as sitting a whole bunch of exams like the Pilots License in Aus?>>

No. it's a bit harder than that. I don't know what happens in Australia, but in the UK from square one it can be several years before an ATCO is fully operational. It is not an easy way to earn a few bucks while you are carrying on with your normal job. It's difficult to do that anyway over here because controller's hours are restricted in much the same way as pilots.

REAL ATC - ie I'm not talking about unlicenced work at a clockwork mouse airfield - is a serious professional job requiring constant practice to maintain proficiency. After years of practice it becomes relatively easy, much like flying an airliner for an experienced pilot.

I fell about at you failing ATC but then becoming a pilot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.....

ksa5223
21st Jun 2009, 08:45
Thanks for the replies guys. Heathrow Director, I also couldn't get a job as a baggage handler for VB after not getting into ATC. I then became a pilot. :}

Yes I imagined it to be a full-time role, constantly keeping up to date with new regs, procedures and training, which sounds all to similar to the life of a pilot!

Flying is my dream and priority, but ATC has always been in the back of my mind. Is there age limits similar to those of line pilots for controllers?

Sad news that I cant do both for a living :{ .:{

undervaluedATC, Aussie Passport, I had alot of competition of older blokes with aviation experience and at the time had 0 aviation experience, only interest.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Jun 2009, 08:58
<<Is there age limits similar to those of line pilots for controllers?>>

Not here in the UK, although you still need to get through the medicals.. Serious employers have a retirement age of 60 or less, but one can hold a licence much later than that

Problem with age is the inability of the brain to assimilate all the garbage one has to know and instant decision making can get tough. It's easy to start young and grow up with it, but starting later in life could be a problem at a busy unit..

Still, you have no worries - you're living in Heaven to start with!!

Spitoon
21st Jun 2009, 12:54
ATCO = the job ie "air traffic control officer" or, as in many parts of the world, ATCs = air traffic controllers.

goatface
21st Jun 2009, 16:22
Have a look at a recent thread on the same subjetc, Starter ATC jobs, currently on page two.
That will tell you all you need to know and how much work you will need to put in.:hmm: