PDA

View Full Version : Manchester "Security"

2A
4th Oct 2001, 23:12
Since the recent awful events in the U.S. one would naturally have expected an increase in airport security worldwide.
Having flown into and out of Manchester Airport twice in the last week from Dublin with Aer Lingus I am slightly baffled.
On arrival we were informed that we were no longer allowed the use of an airbridge , but must exit the aircraft from the rere and take a coach to the terminal! When I asked the reason for this, I was told that "security" did not want incoming and outgoing passengers mixing at the gate!!!
Departing Manchester was another matter - on checking in I was informed that all handbaggage must be checked in , with the sole exception of ladies handbags. Needless to say, I did not query this and willingly handed over my briefcase.
I was very surprised therefore whilst sitting in business class to see many passengers boarding after me with briefcases, suitbags, backpacks, holdalls etc. etc. I naturally queried this with one of the cabin staff , who went off to enquire about the matter and returned subsequently to inform me that she was told "it all depended on which desk you checked in at!!!" I am seriously in favour of increased security at airports , but only if applied seriously.

[ 05 October 2001: Message edited by: 2A ]

IcePack
4th Oct 2001, 23:46
Quite agree 2a Had the same thing out of Boston Logan the other day. Checked in my brief case but was most non-plused to see fellow pax trying to STUFF over sized bags into overhead lockers.
Anyway you all KEEP FLYING it is STILL the safest form of transport.!

Ella
5th Oct 2001, 00:15
The ever vigilant Manchester security staff recently allowed two passengers to arrive at the gate huffing and puffing with a large holdall saying 'Is this where we get the plane to ***"

They had bypassed checkin, security and hand baggage search. Not by stealth, but by stupidity.

How do I know? I was one of the Pilots whose handling agent came on the flight deck almost in shock to tell us of this breach of so called 'vigilant security'.

beardy
5th Oct 2001, 01:12
Ella,
Pulla the oda one it's got bells on, you musta bin pissed to accepta dem.

2A,
Manchester Airport has known for a long time that it should not allow in & outbound pax to mix but woud not pay for the necessary works to achieve segregation. The department of trade and industry (I do hate capital letters for pompous government departments) would not rule as to who was responsible. Bussing passengers achieved the standard of security required but delayed flights. Work is now underway in the terminals to segregate passengers, the airlines are paying, flights now leave closer to schedule.

Security staff are still provided by the airport. Shame really.

Thin Controller
5th Oct 2001, 02:00
Some pax dont take baggage to the check-in desks which is usually taken off them at the gate. Also, bags checked in that are out of size must be taken to the Out Of Gauge (Suit carriers / Brief cases). Some pax think that that dont have to do this. The list in endless, but some pax will try to do what they want.

The Hostie in this case should have taken all bags off pax on the flight. After all, with the additional security, all the check-in staff are trying to do is limit the delays caused by additional searching.

MAN airport have worked hard to try and make the additional security arrangements enforced by the DTLR workable. Give them a break. If these measrues were not but in place, long delays will still be an every day problem. Like it or lump it, these security issues are here to stay, we ALL have to work around them or the airlines will be fined large amounts of valuable cash.

genius747
5th Oct 2001, 06:57
again I agree.. check out the thread on the major breech on airport security at Dub 3 days ago.

Ella
5th Oct 2001, 10:56
Beardy......I can assure you that I am not telling anything other than the truth.

The passengers were not accepted or carried. But it was only my airlines own staff that intercepted these passengers from boarding the aircraft. Left to airport security two adults were able to walk from the street to the gate carrying a large holdall.

I leave the possible consequences of that to your vivid imagination!

IcePack
6th Oct 2001, 14:42
UM!
This segregation thing. How come Manchester BUT no such rules at Gatwick on the satelite.
Rules seem to be quoted that aren't. Stupidity rules KO.
Really "chaps" Security MUST improve to get the publics confidence back. Or there won't be many of us left flying.

batty_boy
6th Oct 2001, 15:03
IF U THINK MANC IS BAD TRY BFS.
A LITTLE BIRD TOLD ME THAT;
BFS SECURITY , DESPITE A VALIANT STUGGLE ON THE SIDE OF COMMON SENSE , INTLLIGENCE AND STATING THE OBVIOUS,
RECENTLY CONFISCATED A SAFETY RAZOR OFF FLITE DECK WHILST MISSING THE OTHER 4 BLADES AMD TWO LEATHERMANS AND A PAIR OF SCISSORS .(ALL OF WHICH WERE BEING CARRIED UNWITTINGLY AND HAVE SINCE BEEN REMOVED FROM THE BAGS AND KITS RESPECTIVELY) TO CAP IT ALLTHEY THEN GAVE THE ARTICLES BACK TO THE CREW ON THE AIRCRAFT.
THEY DID OFFER TO PUT THEM IN THE HOLD AS WELL EVEN WHEN IT WAS POINTED OUT THAT THE CREW HAD ACCESS TO THE HOLD.
LOOKS LIKE NO SHAVING 4 FLITE DECK FROM NOW ON.
ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.
WHEN YOU QUESTION THE STUPIDITY THEY INVOKE THE "WHY ARE YOU RESISTING THE NEW RULES ATTITUDE"
COMMON SENSE IS OBVIOUSLY THE UNSEEN CASUALTY OF THIS ATTACK.
JOBSWORTH IDIOTS

ALSO HEARD THAT MANC SECURITY WERE CHARGING TO RETURN CONFISCATED PENKNIVES ETC. DIDNT SEE THAT ON THE DET LIST

[ 06 October 2001: Message edited by: batty_boy ]

Flapskew
6th Oct 2001, 15:09
Security is improving on T1 piers at Manch. Building lounges at the gates to keep the pax separated. Until built, have to bus inbound pax, depending on arrival gate. Same applies to crews. Agree security needs to be sorted out quickly and get the punters flying again, hopefully soon. :rolleyes:

ducksoup
6th Oct 2001, 15:17
Thin Controller.
Why "give them (man security staff) a break"?. So what if there are delays? better by far than what happened at the WTC. It's only a few weeks and already people forget in the divine quest for punctuality. If we and our passengers are going to travel on an (effective) guided bomb, then perhaps we need to completely rethink security? It IS possible as El Al have demonstrated for years so the model is already there. It may require the modification of turn round times and it will probably, therefore cost money. So what? The prices will have to go up Stelios and Co., but my life is worth more than a few quid and a more arduous check-in procedure
By the way, has not the segregation of incoming and outgoing pax been a D of T requirement for years and if so, why have big airports been getting away with the non-enforcement of this?