PDA

View Full Version : Belfast City (George Best) ATCO Vacancy

Exospheric
20th Jun 2009, 07:37
Does anybody have any info on the recently advertised vacancy at Belfast City?

Any info on salary, rosters, conditions etc would be appreciated.

Standard Noise
20th Jun 2009, 17:29
Last I heard, they were working 6 on/3 off (3 earlies & 3 lates) on a 3 watch system. Airfield open from 0630 to 2130 with some extensions for late arrivals. Pay isn't to bad, not quite NATS rates but it was close enough when I was there. Market based pension rather than final salary and they've got SSR. The guys in Air Traffic are a cracking bunch to work with.

However, the airport management are a bunch of ******s unless there's been a clearout. The eejit who was the Ops Director when I was there now runs the show. It almost seemed as if there was a hatred of ATC and more than a bit of salary envy. Human Remains (HR) are (or were) woeful, but there's worse places to work.

goatface
21st Jun 2009, 16:30
This sort of question comes up every time there's a vacancy anywhere.
If you really wanted to know, it would be far more pertinant if you applied and then told us all what you'd been offered.

We all know that management at 99.9% of airfields are ex ATC (= tossers and anti ATC), so asking in advance is of no relevance whatsoever, just give us the facts when you've got them....:E

Tower Ranger
22nd Jun 2009, 14:54
Agree with Standard, the pay and conditions at the top of the scale are pretty good in comparison with other non state non 24 hr units and it is an interesting place to work with a bit more variety than you`d expect. Some top controllers/assistants to work with too.

Management wise, well, nobody is ever happy with that side of things but at long last they have at least attempted to address the bullying that ruined the unit for many people over the past two decades. Too little too late for those who suffered it but at least they are making an effort.

FrankLeeSpeakin
22nd Jun 2009, 15:00
I know its not practical in the current money's-tight-just-be-thankful-to-have-a-job climate but on principle I wouldn't work at any airport stupid enough to rename itself after a dubious local hero on the back of his inevitable premature death.
To me it will always be Belfast Harbour or City as thats where it bloody well is. No such area as "George Best".
Similarly Liverpool Airport is in Speke, Not John bloody Lennon.
Sorry chaps. Rant over.