PDA

View Full Version : Delaying college entry

pugwash4x4
19th Jun 2009, 09:02
Does anyone know if its possible to postpone college entry? say you pass stage 3 in august and therefore could make October entry, what would happen if you said you would prefer to start in January?

alfaman
19th Jun 2009, 09:13
Hi - if we're talking about NATS, let them know asap; they will probably have someone who can start earlier & they'll swap places with you. Just bear in mind that may alter the discipline you'll end up on. All the best.

aaaabbbbcccc1111
19th Jun 2009, 09:57
I would say you are taking a massive risk by delaying. People have delayed in the past and lost thousands, as the terms and conditions changed whilst they had delayed. Who is to say that in the current climate, the powers that be decide that the October course will be last course until further notice. That is not a rumour, I am just saying that anything could happen, whilst you have delayed, and until you have started at the college you are not a Nats employee.

cottam approach
19th Jun 2009, 10:41
I delayed by 12 months but made it quite clear from the application stage that this would be the case if I was successful. Leaving the military quite often requires 12 months notice depending on your branch so I had extenuating circumstances. Best bet is to phone HR. Be frank and honest and see what they say.

smellysnelly2004
19th Jun 2009, 14:39
I deferred for about 9 months for financial reasons and HR were very helpful.
As stated above, give 'em a call and see what they say:ok:

Radarspod
19th Jun 2009, 15:58
don't delay too long, you'll find the college has relocated to Fareham!:}

anotherthing
19th Jun 2009, 17:36
maybe.......

Radarspod
19th Jun 2009, 18:48
better do, our dept is on the move at CTC again to fit the sims in!

paperclip810
19th Jun 2009, 20:41
I passed Stage 3 in the middle of January but couldn't start on the March/April course due to an extended notice period (which I'm still working) so asked to be put onto the July/August intake (which I got). This info was on all my application stuff and I mentioned it at Stage 3 too, so NATS were well aware of it throughout my application.

Got a call in February wanting me to start in March/April - had to provide written confirmation from my employer which backed up what I'd told NATS during my assessment stages. Best bet is to alert NATS asap and possibly be prepared to give good reasoning as to why you want/need to defer.

Scarf
20th Jun 2009, 13:56
I had no problems. Passed Stage 3 in May, was asked to start in the June but couldn't due to exam committments. Delayed to the October course with no difficulty at all. But definitely agree with people up there, the risk is the "not knowing what might happen" :)