PDA

View Full Version : TWR job - where?

TWR 1
17th Jun 2009, 15:04
Hi everybody, I'm a long time reader, first time poster.

For a short introduction, I'm a great aviation enthusiast who always wanted to be an ATCO. I used all of my inheritance to pay for my TWR course, passed it with the highest marks (from a group of 15 students).

Next logical step was - OJT and validating my license. I contacted a lot of ANS's in many European countries, all of them showed certain interest but ONLY after I validated the TWR rating in my own country.

I've spent much time asking for my native ANS to at least let me do the OJT with no strings attached afterward (employment and so) but I've had no luck. In a sector where there are too many people sitting on their butts doing nothing all day there's too big fear that somebody will come over and take their place with actually working.

Being between a hard place and a rock, I'm trying to find some solution for my problem. Where can I turn to, who shall I ask? South Africa? Serco? All of them are recruiting experienced (or at least) validated licenses.

Maybe applying only for ATCA job would be a smart move to move up the ladder? I'd do whatever connected with ATC just to get my license and "wings" on. I'd even work for minimal income during some time just to get on the track to become an ATCO.

Well if anybody has an advice for a deeply disappointed young man who invested the last dime in something he believed is the best job in the world, put your 2 cents worth.

Thank you.

tribekey
17th Jun 2009, 15:29
TWR1;

You won't get very far if this is how you feel;

'In a sector where there are too many people sitting on their butts doing nothing all day there's too big fear that somebody will come over and take their place with actually working.'

Contact every airport directly and good luck

TWR 1
17th Jun 2009, 15:59
Hi tribekey,

First of all I really appreciate the feedback.

I've contacted a lot of airports abroad and all of them suggested me that their hands are tied until I get my license validated in my native country. Being a foreigner with a valid license would be a different story.

The problem begins with my native CAA who is full with the people mentioned above (political experts who have nothing in common with aviation). My requests to do the OJT for the purpose of validating my TWR license on a voluntary bases (or even if I have to I'll pay for the OJT) but the management is too keen on keeping the new jobs for their friends, family, political friends and such.

Now the OP staff is something else, they are highly qualified personnel who shouldn't be mixed up with the certain management within the CAA...

"it's not what you know in aviation, but who you know".

I'm not even asking for a secure employment at a state run over employed low density unit, just a chance to finish what a started, OJT and nothing else.

Why would this be so hard?

Would I be able to apply at certain places who'd be willing to take a look in my case...At least a chance to prove myself?

Thanks in advance.

criss
17th Jun 2009, 16:16
Face the facts - a person with only ab initio theory+sim training isn't something any ANSP will die for.

tribekey
17th Jun 2009, 16:36
TWR1
I can't speak for other countries but in the U.K. there are many people with tower only license endorsements who are looking for jobs. If you have no experience you will be at the back of a queue. Try everywhere you can think of, apply for assistants positions etc and one day you'll get a chance. Be patient because it won't be easy but good luck.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Jun 2009, 18:09
<<The problem begins with my native CAA who is full with the people mentioned above (political experts who have nothing in common with aviation). My requests to do the OJT for the purpose of validating my TWR license on a voluntary bases (or even if I have to I'll pay for the OJT) but the management is too keen on keeping the new jobs for their friends, family, political friends and such. >>

TWR 1 You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder and this sort of attitude will get you nowhere fast. CAA Management don't fix jobs for family or friends! At a place I worked many years ago there was an ATCA who got his ATC Licence by training "outside" because he failed to qualify to train as an ATCO. When he got his licence he enquired if he could operate the Tower during quiet periods but it was refused because of insurance implications - you can't have somebody working for "free" in a large organisation.

Another ATCA had a relative who was a Senior ATCO but he failed the cadetship interviews and had to try again. Just because he had a relative made no diffrerence - the system is impartial.

An interest in aviation means little nowadays; there are plenty of young, very good ATCOs who have little interest in the subject outside work.

You never mentioned why you got your licence "privately" rather than via CAA...?

Quintilian
17th Jun 2009, 21:25
Is your license based on Eurocontrol's Common-Core-Content?

I know that when the Danish ANSP cancelled on of their ATCO-trainee-courses during the institutional training, Avinor (Norwegian ANSP) took in the students and let them do their On-Job-Training in Norway. They though had to sign a contract binding them to work for Avinor (at full wage of course) for three years after validating.

/TH

Quincy M.E.
18th Jun 2009, 06:09
TWR 1 You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder and this sort of attitude will get you nowhere fast. CAA Management don't fix jobs for family or friends!

Get real; look out of the window beyond cosy old blighty! I bet there are loads of dodgy countries out there with bent CAAs. Why do you think that airlines from these dodgy places get banned from UK? ffs

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Jun 2009, 09:07
Quincy, baby, I know such problems exist outside the UK - I've been there, done that, got the tee-shirt, eaten the stew, had tea out of the mug, even been shot at!! I've got brown knees, mate!

My point was that it doesn't happen in good old Blighty... well, not as far as NATS is concerned.

Quincy M.E.
18th Jun 2009, 10:00
Roger that.

BTW, nice use of baby. Bring back the 70s parlance i say! :ok: