PDA

View Full Version : Oz ATC

j3pipercub
16th Jun 2009, 12:20
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, did a bit of trawling and couldn't find anything, so here goes:

Situation:
Flying the same route everyday, procedural environment, string of frequencies all paired to the one controller. When I give my position report at blah, I know that between there and the next position, about half way, I will be transferred to the next frequency, or be told somewhere along the way that 'at blah contact me on xxx.x'.

Question:
Is it a help, hinderance or an annoyance if, in my position report I state that 'estimate, blah at xx and I will make that report on xxx.x'. It is in no way attempting to step on any toes, just curious if I should stop it or continue.

j3

Tin-Bullet
16th Jun 2009, 12:32
gidday mate,
very simple - DO AS U're told!:ok:

j3pipercub
16th Jun 2009, 12:43
ok, no worries, thanks for that, was hoping to speak to any current Australian ATCers though.

j3

Blockla
16th Jun 2009, 12:54
As an ex oz ATC; I'd say wait until the told to go to the next frequency.

You need to be in two way comms at all times, just because you aren't expecting to be called before position X doesn't mean it won't happen... A distance report a cross check of time, asked to report passing etc.

What often happens is the frequency 'rated' coverage is often much less than actual. The controllers often have a small window to keep you in 'rated' frequency coverage.

By all means if they don't transfer you call on the next report on the normal frequency; not the last etc.

melbATC
17th Jun 2009, 05:48
As a current Oz ATC I totally agree with Blockla

j3pipercub
17th Jun 2009, 06:58
Ok guys, thanks for the info. Have a good one

j3

willadvise
17th Jun 2009, 10:47
Agree with Block. Sometimes the freq you are used to being transfered to is U/S,occasionally sector configuration may be unusual due to IFER/workload issues and you may be transferred to different frequency to reduce workload, and sometimes the controller may want to hang onto you for longer for separation purposes. One area you can save on transmissions is that when told to "contact me (now) xxx.x" it's great if you already have it dialed up and come back with "BN Centre ABC on xxx.x maintaining FXXX" without having to readback the freq.

Cheers

j3pipercub
17th Jun 2009, 12:28
Thanks willadvise, shall do