PDA

View Full Version : Trainees

WannabeATCO
12th Jun 2009, 15:10
Hi,

Anyone got through to NATS ATCO Training/cadetship in recent years able to provide any info on the typical size of class, girl/boy ratio, average age of trainees, ethnicity etc... what kind of prior employment backgrounds the more mature ones are from (finance, IT, pilots, military who knows??)
NOT that any of that matters ofcourse but just trying to get an idea of what a typical group of trainees consists of.

Traffic is...
12th Jun 2009, 15:42
I went through since 2000 and this will sound very vague for you, but the answer to all your questions is that the groups are very mixed. Varying age ranges (I was 25 at the time), various employment backgrounds with some folk straight from uni and others that had good jobs and not so good jobs. Ratio of girls to boys was about 50/50, but then this differs course to course, as do all the things that you've asked.

Whatever you think the group will be like, you'll probably be wrong, but you'll be pleasantly surprised I'm sure and you'll make some really good friends. There are normally a couple of weird ones that are there as well. Be kind!

Glamdring
12th Jun 2009, 16:10
My course finished last year. Probably 50/50 for males/females. Youngest was 18, oldest was 34.

monkeyboy21
14th Jun 2009, 21:34
Area about 25-35 group size, ages 18 - 36, about 20% female, very diverse backgrounds.
Aerodrome about 12, 18-30, 50/50 split, diverse backgrounds. Currently a tatc so pm me if you want more info!