PDA

View Full Version : NATS ATSA vacancy

GhostUK
11th Jun 2009, 16:30
NATS recently advertised vacancy for an ATSA.

Just out of curiosity; has anyone else on this forum applied for this position?

Flybywyre
11th Jun 2009, 16:46
Are you sure ?
They have just got rid of a load of them and they are looking to get rid of some more in October :confused:

GhostUK
11th Jun 2009, 16:47
100% it was on their careers website. Application stage recently closed a couple of days ago.

Mr A Tis
11th Jun 2009, 19:01
Thats very odd as there are lots being made redundant right now, with more to follow.

GhostUK
11th Jun 2009, 20:03
I thought NATS official policy was voluntary redundancies?

alfaman
11th Jun 2009, 21:22
Yes, there was a VN for ATSAs, & yes, there are some units need them. It closed earlier in the week.

Flybywyre
11th Jun 2009, 22:43
Who are the units that need them and why? :confused:
Will they come in as 2's or 3's and will they be on the same T & C's ?

intherealworld
11th Jun 2009, 23:54
I think the internal VN for EGBB ATSA1 was also advertised externally.

radar707
12th Jun 2009, 12:04
The EGBB vacancy was advertised externally as there was virtually no interest from the internal trawl.

Ceannairceach
12th Jun 2009, 21:55
I thought that there was interest, just no-one suitable to take the post in the end....

Anyway, potentially more ATSA vacancies coming up - but working for an agency as opposed to NATS itself.

GhostUK
13th Jun 2009, 12:05
So am I the only applicant?* :)

*wishful thinking..

alfaman
13th Jun 2009, 12:57
Er, I don't believe so...;)

GhostUK
22nd Jun 2009, 17:40
BUMP

Any insider's know what the current application status is?

I did receive a call from the agency dealing with the vacancy a couple of weeks back, advising me interviews will begin end of the month, and to expect a call by the end of the week but sadly I haven't heard anything as out yet.

Anyone know whats happening or who to contact for more info?

Ceannairceach
22nd Jun 2009, 21:11
Is the vacancy up north, very north, somewhere?

luv pringles
22nd Jun 2009, 21:38
Birmingham, so yes very north, some people may have heard of it.

GhostUK
23rd Jun 2009, 17:20
Hi guys,

I decided to contact the agency today regarding my application since I hadnt heard anything since the initial phone call a few weeks back. I just received an email back from them advising me that both the positions have now been filled and I didnt make it to the interview shortlist.

If I'm not even making it to the interview section then I seriously must be lacking in some vital exp or skills.

I'm posting a copy of my CV below, please poke as many holes in it as you can.

Any and all advice will be much appreciated.

Guys please help me!!!.. I yearn not to be an optical dispenser for much longer..

MY CV (NOT IN THE CORRECT FORMAT OFCOURSE)

<MY NAME AND CONTACT DETAILS>

EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
April 2009: ASTAC Ltd
Subject include: Air Traffic Control Assistant Course (ATCA)
Qualifications: Awarded certificate of successful completion.

Sept 2002 – June 2003: <MY COLLEGE>
Subject include: A/S Biology
Qualifications:
• E Grade

Sept 1996 – 2001: <MY SECONDARY SCHOOL>
Subjects and Qualifications:
• Graphics – B
• English – C
• English Lit – C
• English (Speaking and listening) - B
• Math - C
• Information Systems – C
• Science (Double award) C, C
• Religious Education - C

WORK EXPERIENCE
June 2009 – Present: Optical Dispenser
Specsavers

April 2009 – June 2009: Locum Optical Dispenser

August 2002 – April 2009: Practice Manager / Senior Dispenser
Infocus Optometrists
Progression history;
Aug 02 – Sept 04: Optical assistant (P/T)
Sept 04 – Nov 06: Dispenser / Admin assistant (F/T)
Nov 06 – Dec 07: Senior Dispenser (F/T)
Dec 07 – Present: Practice Manager / Senior Dispenser (F/T)

December 2001 – August 2002: Optical assistant
Specsavers – Dalston, London.

SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
From a young age I have always held a passion for aviation, and very much hope to one day to become a fully qualified ATCO. Recently I completed an assistant air traffic controller’s course with ASTAC Ltd in Gloucestershire.
I am hoping the experience gained from the course will help my prospects of progressing in my future ATC career.

The experience gained with ASTAC Ltd was priceless; Not only because I was learning from a veteran ATCO but as the course also took place in the center of a fully running airport; Gloucestershire Airport (GLO) with access to the ATC tower I was able to gain a basic insight into the practical role of the air traffic service assistant.

The week long ATSA course highlighted the practical role and responsibilities of an assistant controller. It gave me a good foundation of many of the basic techniques an ATSA will need including; Navigation and map techniques, flight plans, understanding of airspace restrictions charts & danger areas, usage of the AFTN, NOTAMS, basic R/T techniques and even some ATC simulator practice.

I currently work as an optical dispenser. I have gained a range of skills and experience attained from working in this field over the last 7 years.

Duties including;
• Sales
• Dispensing
• Customer services
• General reception duties
• Advertising
• Administrative tasks
• Accounting and remittance
• Ordering
• Troubleshooting
• Organizing staff roster’s
• Team co-ordination
• IT System administration for the opticians network of stores

Due to the nature of my career; working with patients from all walks of life my temperament is excellent and I thrive on working within a pressured environment.

During my opticians career I quickly rose from the position of optical assistant to senior dispenser, and was recently promoted to practice manager.

I currently hold a full clean UK drivers license as well as a motorcycle CBT.

<MY 2 REFEREES - BOTH OPTICAL MANAGERS>

Ceannairceach
23rd Jun 2009, 18:19
I think if I was doing the paper sift I'd be concerned at your lack of real world ATC and indeed aviation experience (you've done a very short course) and the non-relevance of your current career, which you've been in for quite a while now, to ATC.

For the record, you probably wouldn't have gone into my own "no" pile, but you'd have gone below anyone currently working in an aviation role. Or anyone with a PPL etc.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but, as I'm involved in a big way with the recruitment process, for assistants too, thought it may be useful to you.

Oh and luv pringles - where? My world ends south of DCS.

GhostUK
23rd Jun 2009, 18:25
Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it, as I'm starting to get an idea on where I am going wrong.

I do have an interview coming up in the next week or so for a 'flight operations assistants' post (NON-Service term).. I understand this is a more military based environment and the pay is crap, but how would 6-12 months of this look on my cv?

eastern wiseguy
23rd Jun 2009, 18:27
Seems you are well qualified for Specsavers....you would most likely lose money being an ATSA. Stay where you are and try to be an ATCO.

Ceannairceach
23rd Jun 2009, 18:28
In one word, better.

It may be worth mentioning on your cv too that you have a lifelong passion and interest in aviation. If indeed you do have of course :E

And along with what eastern just said there - the ATSA role is limited in terms of long term career prospects. Sad but true. Have you tried for a NATS ATCO cadetship?

GhostUK
23rd Jun 2009, 18:32
I've been in the optical world for the last 7 years...

The end game plan is to one day become an ATCO.

I've tried the NATS cadet path but sadly didnt make it thru.
Now currently waiting in the 12 month mourning period before retakes.

I thought better use of this time would be to try the ATSA path rather then wasting yet another year at the opticians.
IMHO it seems like the ATSA path is under-rated, as the ATSA's that I have met seem to be on the ball when it comes to ATC knowledge - kinda like an apprenticeship without the title.

Ceannairceach
23rd Jun 2009, 18:46
Absolutely, the ATSA role is still an invaluable one, especially when it comes to areas like training and simulation. You won't find me dissing ATSA's in any way, shape or form.

Well, apart from the highly paid ones that sit in Ops rooms reading the papers / chatting to mates whilst there's work to be done.....but that's a different story.

Operationally, they're becoming scarce, or at least in NATS over the next few years they will be with EFD and various other things.

That said, some of the best (how do we define a "best" ATCO I wonder) ATCOs were once assistants.

Time served as an ATSA however would stand you in good stead for an ATCO course. As would any exposure to the aviation / airline industry in general, don't discount things like Ops if you don't strike lucky with an ATSA post.

Also, if you're not afraid of moving elsewhere, there may be ATSA posts at other units across the country that you should be up for. At my own unit we've taken on a great deal of ATSA staff over the last year or so, admittedly working via a contractor, to fill vital roles. So there are chances around if you look and try hard enough.

GhostUK
23rd Jun 2009, 18:54
Where are most of these posts advertised? Locally, or is there any avaiation/atc publication?

I mainly seem to stumble upon the websites of airports a few days after the closing date has passed.

I don't really mind moving at all any place in the UK really, as I believe in the long-term it will work out a lot better for me and my family.. plus it will be a bit of an adventure to get out of hum-drum london.

Currently I've mainly been sending c.v. out at batches of 10-15 at ago to aerodromes published in the AIP. Any other suggestions?

luv pringles
23rd Jun 2009, 19:24
How about an ATCO in the RAF?, I am an ex assistant, still with NATS, but as has been pointed out, their role is being phased out, you are doing the right things don't let it get you down, keep trying someone will notice you

GhostUK
23rd Jun 2009, 19:30
Thanks luv pringles - I'm just hoping its sooner rather then later.
I'm getting real tired of selling the 241 crap at specsavers :P

luv pringles
23rd Jun 2009, 19:41
If you hate your job that much, taking a lower paid job(and some of them are very poorly paid) at an airport might be more relevant, but it's not that great in aviation at the moment looking at the other threads on here. sorry not to be more positive

Ceannairceach
23rd Jun 2009, 20:06
Look at websites run by recruitment agencies like Capita Resourcing et al. They're the ones that NATS use occasionally...

paperclip810
23rd Jun 2009, 21:49
Just my thoughts, but based on my experience as a recruiter in my current field, I'd be wary of saying that you want to be an ATCO. I know that it demonstrates ambition and interest in the field, but if I were shortlisting I'd be concerned that I'd spend x months training someone with very little experience up to the level required to be a good ATSA, and then they'd leave as soon as they could become an ATCO (NATS cadetship or aerodrome willing to sponsor).

Not trying to be harsh, but just my experience elsewhere!