PDA

View Full Version : LCY Pilot Training Requirement

galleypower
10th Jun 2009, 20:02
Hello all,

Just wondering if someone has informations or resources on how to get qualified to operate into London-City airport as pilot. I know the operator has to be approved by the LCY authorites, but how about the training requirements for pilots - and what are the requirements to stay current?

Thanks for your help.

Akrapovic
10th Jun 2009, 20:11
Don't have any sources or references for you, but I did steep approach training for the purpose of operating into LCY (as a FO).

Consisted of simulator work which we incorporated into a 6 monthly OPC/LPC.
This was mainly flying approaches into city with crosswinds, tailwinds, night approaches and a go-around.
After that it was the real thing with Pax and a line training Captain. Some companies have rules that Captain's are only allowed to handle the aircraft into LCY, but our company did not apply this . . .

Captain's training was the same with the addition that they had to operate the aircraft into LCY empty before being let loose with passengers.

To this day, it remains one of the best airports I've flown into - not so much for the steep approach side of things, but just for the views you get, especially landing on the easterly runway - magic!