PDA

View Full Version : Overpaid Operational Allowance

onthebreakforhighkey
10th Jun 2009, 11:01
Hi

I receieved a bill afew months ago for several hundred pounds for overpayment of OA. I duly contested the payment and after a 2 month investigation by JPA, they had admitted the had made an error and the bill was dropped by 300 quid. I am liable under their guidelines for paying the money back.

Any serving, fellow retirees had the same bills and is there any reasonable solution given the fact that

1. pay statements never gave full details of payments making it difficult to check

2. the error was made 3 years ago.

3. serving guys if I remember could have 4 days pay a month taken to recover a debt. i have had a chit for me to propose how to repay the debt. Given the current climate, if forced a pound a month, seems reasonable!

Would be grateful for advice as I am sure there are hundreds out there with the same problem

Cheers

shiny_shoes
10th Jun 2009, 11:11
Send me a PM with your details on and will get you in contact with a mate who had a problem with JPA. There is a way where things can be written off,,,just have to jump through some hoops.

SS

1.3VStall
10th Jun 2009, 11:28
BGG,

I admire your honesty, if they'd tried to stick me with a bill for their mistake after I'd retired I'd have told them where to shove it!

500days2do
10th Jun 2009, 11:56
A similar story for myself. Recieved a bill for £2600 when they lost my resettlement invoices...from 2006...!!!

5d2d

Seldomfitforpurpose
10th Jun 2009, 16:54
Currently paying 4 days pay a month for their cock up but as it was effectively an interest free loan which I spotted straight away I am not that upset with this outcome :ok:

Blacksheep
11th Jun 2009, 08:06
You need expert advice. Contact your MP; he'll be an absolute expert on Allowances.

South West Wanderer
11th Jun 2009, 12:26
About 8 weeks ago the letter arrived alleging an overpayment on £307 op allowance in December 2006. I left the light blue September 2007 - what joy. There was no supporting documentation which irritated me a little so wrote back requesting they prove their case. In the meantime I checked pay and bank statements etc and yes there had been the same payment on consecutive months - bang to rights. The evidence when it arrived was two pages of a JPA screenshot showing £307 on the December and January - you know the thing; a grey box on a lighter grey background with 307 placed in the centre. Meaningless to the lay person but bang to rights from my own research. Of course bottled the intention to payback a pound a month and went for £50. Anymore surprises I wonder?