PDA

View Full Version : Am I required to carry logbook with me?

Dufo
9th Jun 2009, 21:55
Is there a legal requirement (specifically JAR/EASA) that logbook has always to be carried by the pilot when operating under JAR/EU-OPS?
I know about this reqirement for flight and medical certificates (appendix 1 to jar-fcl 1.075).

doubleu-anker
10th Jun 2009, 06:02
The carriage of personal flying log books, with you on an aircraft when you are operating as a crew member is foolish in the extreme

What if you crash and burn? You wont care, you will probably be dead but the investigators will want to examine your logbook for past experience etc.

Same goes for aircraft logbooks being carried on the same aircraft.

Having stated the above, it would not surprise me of course, if there is a law stating the carriage of logbooks is mandatory. :ugh:

JW411
10th Jun 2009, 07:31
I've had a long career as a professional pilot and I have never, ever carried a log book with me. Why on earth would anyone want to?

Nightrider
10th Jun 2009, 07:36
Carrying my logbook with me would create some delay on check-in. The security check for my PC with all the bits and pieces attached will take some time. Further, where to put the shiny "monster" screen...and I have no place in my office for the mousepad.....

There is sometimes already trouble to find enough space for my coffee....

No way of carrying a logbook. And I never found a requirement for this in the last 30 years....

mustafagander
10th Jun 2009, 23:18
In some parts of the world endorsements and such like are stuck in your log book on little stickies so, yes, in these cases you must carry your log book because the proof of your competency is therein.

DC-ATE
10th Jun 2009, 23:30
Way back in the way back as Co-Pilot, I carried my logbook and had the Captain sign it after each trip certifying that I had acted as PIC for 'x' hours under his supervision. I don't recall now why that was 'important', but I have quite a few pages with signatures. Might have had something to do with time towards the ATR or something, can't remember. Probably doesn't apply any more anyway. I do know that after that I never carried my logbook with me.

Der absolute Hammer
11th Jun 2009, 04:42
These days it is probably better to carry it with you.
That way, if you crash and burn there is no way the authorities will be able to establish even one small error in back entries which would enable all the dead passengers relatives to sue your estate for criminal negligence.
So...always carry your logbook with you to protect your loved ones!

doubleu-anker
11th Jun 2009, 12:24
Yes good point. :ok:

I recon if one is carrying the logbook to work, they may also be in possession of a "Parker 51"! :}

blackburn
11th Jun 2009, 13:37
mustafagander

I take it you are referring to Australia re your statement you must carry your log book because the proof of your competency is therein. However there is no requirement in Australia to carry your log book at any time. If CASA want to look at your logbook they must give you 7 days to produce it as noted in CAR 5.56 below!

5.56 Production of licence etc.
(1) CASA may request the holder of a flight crew licence, a special pilot
licence or a certificate of validation to produce to CASA any or all of
the following:
(a) his or her licence or certificate;
(b) his or her personal log book;
(c) his or her medical certificate;
for inspection by CASA.
(2) If CASA requests the holder of a flight crew licence, a special pilot
licence or a certificate of validation to produce a document under
subregulation (1), the holder must:
(a) produce the document without delay; or
(b) if the holder does not have immediate access to the document at
the time the request is made—produce the document at the place
specified by CASA not more than 7 days after the day of the
request

Other than that I entirely agree with posts 2,3 & 4 re not carrying your logbook.

Blackburn

flywithfun
12th Jun 2009, 17:09
I don't know which country he is referring to. As for the US, a licensed pilot is not even required to have a logbook at all! Any kind of record will do that shows that the recency requirements are met (flight review, instrument proficiency, 90 day rule). And those documents don't need to be "readily available", they can be kept at home.
Only the license and the medical certificate (in the US two independent documents) need to be carried on board while flying.